Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

8 HST at a time method OK?   General Discussion

Started Feb-12 by sueinIL; 869 views.
sueinIL

Feb-12

Finally I am nearing the end of a quilt top made of HSTs from directional prints.  I think I have more left over than I needed to have in the first place!

The next quilt I want to make is also all HSTs, but uses solid (Kona) fabrics so the nightmare factor doesn't apply.  Have you used the 8-at-a-time method?  Does it work well? I've just been doing 2 at a time and discarding half of each one when the sky wasn't going the right direction. I would never use the 4-at-a-time method because I do not want bias edges, but the 8-at-a-time way looks doable.    When the directions say "finished" size, does that mean finished finished, as in the size of the square sewn into the rows on all 4 sides?  or finished and ready to sew in?  I want my squares after cutting and pressing to be 6" or so, so they will sew in at 5+.

Thanks!

Sue in IL

bornblesse2

Feb-12

Sue, finished size means size when sewn into the quilt.

a 5” cut block becomes a 4 1/2” finished block.

make sense?  
I haven’t dont the 8 at a time HST.

I really found the 8 HST method easy and accurate.  Especially good if you need a lot of the same colors.  But even with that method, I always make them slightly larger and trim down to unfinished size.  

sueinIL

Feb-13

Thanks, JDO!  I 'm going to do a practice run with scrap fabric to see what size I need to start with.  I think I'll start with a 10" square.

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Feb-14

Thanks for that chart, Lynne!  It seems much more straightforward than others I've seen. I think those others were why I was confused over "finished" and FINISHED.

Sue in IL

latterberry

Feb-14

I love those charts.  Saves me trying to figure out the math.  Did you ever see Jenny form Missouri * show how she  sews all the way around two squares then slices it up to get 8 hsts?  I tried it and they turned out a mess.  Sure looked easy, but they were on the bias and got wonky on me.

sueinIL

Feb-14

Lynne, yes I saw Jenny's method and would never use it!  The quilt I am working on now has 324 HSTs.  I do not need the added drama of bias edges!

Sue in IL

latterberry

Feb-15

Wow!  That's a lot of HSTs !  I'll be looking forward to seeing thde finished project.  It will help not having to worry about directional fabric.  I just finished a memory quilt for my niece out of her kids' baby clothes and told her to send fabric for the backing but to make sure it wasn't stripes or plaid.  I didn't want to have to deal with trying to get the sandwich perfectly lined up 

Hi Sue!

I did "8 HST at a time" starting with 10 in. layer cakes.  I then squared them off to 4 1/4 in.  Worked very well.  I'll definitely use that method again.

Let us know how you make out!

Pat