Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Being Creative With Old Denim Jeans   Off-Topic Chat

Started Feb-17 by judyinohio; 1711 views.
judyinohio

Feb-17

Finally got my DH to clear out some of his old jeans from his closet and I've been cutting up a few pairs to make small items as gifts.  (I don't know if you want to call these bowls or dishes or pots.) They are kinda cute for storing small items and two of them are useful here in my sewing room for storing sewing weights on a shelf and a wrist brace and spools of thread near Cecil Faye.

Since I have old jeans from an adult male I have plenty of fabric to work with. I have looked online for ideas and there are about three jillion ideas for tiny little clutch purses, giant totes and pot holders and such. I am overwhelmed by suggestions for cute little projects on the internet in languages ranging from Japanese to Russian to Hebrew to Spanish and on and on and on.

It is all too much. Giant totes and tiny clutch bags seem to be the most popular.

So I will ask forum members ... What have you personally made from old jeans? 

Midkid5

Feb-17

I have made two denim quilts...they were wanted but once recieved, get very little use cause...they're to heavy.

I like your little bowls.  I have had a pattern for a small foot stool out of old jeans bookmarked for quite awhile,  may try making it this summer for DGS birthday.

I remember Ami threading paint on pieces and then turning them into bags.  They were very pretty.

Jo

What have I made from old jeans.........so far...........I still have lots of plans.

tote bag (made 1)

quilted the legs then made tote bags (made 2)

jewlery (1)

hat acessory (1)

Some things I am planning. I love clothes sewing and have a pattern for a traditional jean jacket and will make it out of assorted jeans, all faded different so it will be scrappy.

I have also upcycled a couple of jeans skirts to fit better

Have a skirt in process with upcycled jeans and fabric

Have upcycled long jeans into shorts

Have made little baskets like the ones in your photo

I love pinterest and have one board called Denim Love where I have pinned hundreds of inspiration photos.

Mishii

Feb-17

I’ve made a couple of quilts. Have plans for lots of other stuff of course. 

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Feb-17

Judy,

Your "keeper" containers are cute!  And the ones that aren't cute are lovely!

I made one small denim quilt from old jeans and will cut my fingers off and poke out my eyes before I ever do another.  Seriously.

Cris in MT

judyinohio

Feb-17

Okay, Cris, you absolutely, positively MUST give me details about why the experience was so dreadful.

I was actually thinking of maybe doing a rag quilt (combining denim and flannel but no batting) but you have just seriously frightened me away from that idea.

Suze (casuzenn)

Feb-17

I will not be making a denim rag quilt...it's a heavy, unforgiving fabric...

I made four of the shlep bags and criminey, that was quite enough!! it takes intestinal fortitude to cut up denim...

I love the leg bags though...and have done several of them... might try a purse  or maybe an apron...

Have you seen the guy that does gorgeous pictures all in denim?? this is some seriously  beautiful stuff    https://www.ianberry.org/blog/tag/Denimu

Midkid5

Feb-17

Judy I do not believe you would enjoy making a denim rag quilt, I had forgotten about the one I made.  It was a challenge to snip all those seams so that they would fray.

Jo

judyinohio

Feb-17

Thank you, Jo.

Sounds like you just gave me excellent advice.  kissing_smiling_eyes

judyinohio

Feb-17

He is indeed an artist with a vision .... way beyond my pay grade.