Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mailing a quilt   General Discussion

Started Feb-17 by latterberry; 215 views.
latterberry

Feb-17

I finally finished a quilt I have been making for my niece out of MANY of her kid's baby clothes.  So glad it is finished!  I never mailed a quilt off before and just wondered if any of you have any suggestions for what is best.  USPS? UPS? FedEx?  What do you suggest?  

bornblesse2

Feb-17

I have sent several through USPS and UPS.

but whatever you do :

-have good pictures of it before sending.

- insure it

- get tracking and maybe get it signed for.

- make sure the person receiving knows when to expect it

- the only other thing I do is if asked about contents, I list it as linens.  Not sure how important this is, but I’ve always been afraid that might invite stealing....

I am interested to hear what others do when mailing!

judyinohio

Feb-17

I have mailed lots of quilts over the years and I always say that the contents are "fabric".

If you use priority mail the package automatically gets tracking and is automatically insured for $100.  No big deal.

Don't make a fuss about the package at the post office. Just say I am sending a bunch of fabric to another quilter who needs it more than I do.

CC (ccase5)

Feb-17

also put in a plastic bag or garbage bag with recipient's name and addy. just in case the package is damaged in any way.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-17

Don't bother with additional insurance if you're going with the Post Office.  They will reimburse you ONLY if you have **receipts**.   So, if you recently bought the fabric for the quilt, save the receipts.  But the cost of your labor?  Not reimbursable.

I'm not sure what their position is if you have an appraisal of the quilt.   Dunno.

If Post Office, always, always get that tracking number AND (belt and suspenders security) ask for signature required upon delivery.  That way, the box won't be left at the door, risking porch pirates coming up and snatching it.

I've never used the other delivery services because they are much more expensive than the Post Office (to me, anyway).

When they ask what is in the package tell them it is a blanket.

CC (ccase5) said:

also put in a plastic bag or garbage bag with recipient's name and addy. just in case the package is damaged in any way.

I do that as well, once I had a package that arrived partially open but the bag did not come out.