Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hexie idea   General Discussion

Started Feb-22 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 396 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-22

Today, I was at a guild quilt show in Watsonville, CA.   This town is about 2.5 hours southwest of me.  I attended last year, also, and this year was no exception to the quality of the quilts displayed.

One table was manned by guild members, demonstrating various hand crafts.  One lady was doing English Paper Piecing hexies.   The aspect that made me do a second look was her technique of fussy cutting.

Now, we've all done fussy cutting before.  When fussy cutting for hexies, I like to have a hexie window "frame" to isolate the motif, then I put the hexie template inside the window and pin the hexie in place.

This lady did that also .. so it was no big revelation there BUT what she did next for the center hexie was eye-opening ... she looked at the fabric to see if there was a pattern that WOULD CONTINUE what she had just fussy cut for the previous 6 hexies.  She **was not** making the center hexie of a contrasting fabric.  She was deliberately looking to make the center hexie look coordinated with the ring of hexies.

I was astonished!  I had never thought of such a variation.  Below are two of her hexie units using this technique.

bornblesse2

Feb-22

Wow.. talk about gorgeous!

lavenderloco

Feb-22

WOW! Exquisite work. Did she show you her process? It looks finicky...more than simply fussy cutting.

Donna in Oklahoma

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-22

Donna .. she quite literally held one of the 6 fussy cut hexies up to the fabric and moved it around until she found a pattern in the fabric that would look nice.

She was *not* looking for an exact continuation of the fussy cut fabric pattern; that would be impossible.  But if the colors in the fussy cut CENTER hexie matched (closely or not) that colors and pattern at the edges of the 6 fussy cut hexies, it would work.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Feb-22

WOW!  That is someone who is fastidious.  

Midkid5

Feb-22

Cool, so amazing the new ideas that keep getting shared.

Jo

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Feb-23

Very pretty! I've only used random placement (planning as I go) for my little projects so far but like the look of this. I'm just not sure if I have the fortitude to cut out each hexie with such precision like this lady and Kathi (KeddyKat) do. It sure is gorgeous though!

LindaPutt

Feb-23

Pretty!  What a good idea.