Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2019 - Pacific International Quilt Festival, Santa Clara, CA   Show and Tell

Started Feb-29 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 807 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-29

Just as Houston has a tremendous quilt show, so does the West Coast .... it's PIQF: Pacific International Quilt Festival.  The location is very near where Judy Akers (DJzMom) lives.  She is an extremely gracious and generous person and lets me crash at her house so that we can attend together, as well as gossip .. er .. discuss .. the entries afterwards at her house. :-)

The quality of quilted things displayed at PIQF is beyond magnificent.  Quite often I wonder WHY a certain quilt didn't win a ribbon vs a quilt that did.   One aspect that annoys me is that they don't display the quilts of a particular category together .. they scatter them about.  That makes it absolutely impossible to do a compare and contrast between the entries.  Perhaps seeing all of the entries in a category together would make it more obvious why the ribbon winning quilts were superior to the ones that didn't win.  (But I bet not.  Most of the quilt entered are simply fantastic.)

In this and subsequent posts, I will display the photos that I took.  This is not even a small fraction of what is in the show .. just the ones that *really* caught my attention.  And by attention, it's mainly the quilting I'm looking at.  Deciding on what to quilt where remains a real challenge for me and I like to collect inspiration pieces wherever I see them.  Unfortunately, this time, I did not photograph the attribution card, so I can't identify the quilt, the maker or the quilter.  My bad.

Most of these photos I've left large, so that you may need to click on the photo to see it in all of its glory.

This quilt is clamshells.  I remain intrigued by clamshells and feel that "one of these days" I may indulge myself.   They look a bit more involved than hexies (which are my current obsession).  This quilt has the extra added attraction of a hand appliqued border.   Detail photo follows in the next post.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-29

Quilting ideas for complex shapes

In reply toRe: msg 4
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-29

I am in serious lust with this quilt.   Srsly.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-29

OH NO!!  More clamshells!   But these are ginormous and could absolutely be done on the machine, rather than hand appliqued ... now there's an attraction.

In reply toRe: msg 6
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-29

this .. and the next one .. is kind of a pieced, whole-cloth quilt, if that's not a contradiction in terms.   Just LOOK at the quilting!!   Be still my beating heart!

these two quilts were instructor samples of the class that Judy & I took at PIQF.  It was quilting in negative spaces ... more ideas of what to quilt where.

Suze (casuzenn)

Feb-29

nice! 

I too want to do a clamshell - one of these days..but mine will have ears and eyes and such (little animals peeking out of the clamshell sea)

like the semi whole cloth ideas...I did something similar last year for the ugly fabric challenge..I just am not as good at it!!

In reply toRe: msg 8
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-29

and then.  <grimace and scowls>   I go to quilt shows to see wonderful things.  Fantastic, creative pieces made from small pieces of fabric to end up as larger, more amazing pieces.  I go to shows to be creatively uplifted and admire the talent displayed.    I may not always like the designs (modern and abstract designs come to mind) but I can appreciate the time, thought process, skill, fabric selection and talent that went into the creation.   MOST of the time this is exactly what happens. 

But *sometimes*, there are pieces .. or even entire categories .. of "Statement Quilts".  Many times they are political or environmental quilts.  These quilted items have the effect of a pail of ice cold water being dumped over me.  It completely kills the lovely feeling I've been having previously.  It makes me really angry.  I mean, really, *really*, REALLY angry.  I can't appreciate the slightest little detail about such quilted things.  Honestly, i want to throw a bucket of bleach on them or cut them up with scissors.  They make me THAT angry.   I don't give an owl's hoot if the quilter is expressing her feelings ... you feel that badly about a political or environmental subject?  Fine  .. make your quilt .. but keep the d@mn thing to yourself.  Or have your own show so I will know not to attend.

Here is the informational card from such an environmental statement garment.  No, you're not gonna see the garment itself because I'm sure not gonna give it any visual recognition.  This one involved a LOT of audible eye-rolling and facial incredulity on my part.   And no, I didn't even touch the garment .. not with bleach, not with scissors.