Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Book Club!   Off-Topic Chat

Started Mar-2 by Mel Harris (MelHarris1); 4629 views.
LABFIEND

Apr-21

I guess I will have to at least look at it, you enabler-LOL!

In reply toRe: msg 69
bornblesse2

Apr-22

Well, I had a restless sleeping night.  So I finished my book. Ever Since I was a young adult, I have found myself drawn to books about families or women on the prairies.  I guess the farm girl in me could relate, and I have always admired the strength of the women (and men) who could survive it,

so, after reading many books this winter about WW II time period, and a detective or two, and couple of teens books that I needed to proof before allowing in the children’s library, it is no wonder that I returned to life on the prairie.

i read “One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow”.  That title made absolutely not one bit of sense until suddenly past 3/4 of the way to the end.  This book was an enjoyable read.  It made me think of Willa Cathers book “My Antonia” that has always been a favorite.  Although the only thing in common is survival on the prairie.

one for the Blackbird is a story about 2 families as opposite in personality as in life.  Early on the 2 men are taken, and the women and children must do-exist together in Order to survive.  The teens grow up quickly, the mothers - one filled with hate, the other filled with guilt, - and the nearest town 20 miles away, An all day trek.  Not a love story per se, although a love does grow, but about learning to survive, adapt, change, and let go.   
I enjoyed the book written by Olivia Hawker.

MarciainMD

May-5

Jo, I sent you a private message.

I'm doing well amid the restrictions from the virus.  I recently read The Nightingale, which had been recommended on this thread earlier.  I enjoyed it as I've done all of Kristin Hannah's books that I've read.  I also read Still Me by Jojo Moyes and loved it.  Now I'm reading Before We Were Yours which was also recommended on this thread.  I'm loving it!  I'll go through the recent recommendations here to see what I can read next.

Midkid5

May-5

Glad to hear you have just been busy.

Jo

MarciainMD

May-5

Thank you.  I hope you are doing well!

In reply toRe: msg 73

So I'm reading "The Stand" by King. He's kinda freaky in that he thought through a lot of this pandemic stuff before it happened...and this is in the future, scary like...

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

So I'm reading "The Stand" by King. He's kinda freaky in that he thought through a lot of this pandemic stuff before it happened...and this is in the future, scary like...

I read that some years ago................yup pretty scary stuff.

latterberry

May-6

The Nightingale really was good.  The Winter Garden by K Hannah was really good too.

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said...

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

I read that some years ago................yup pretty scary stuff.

Yes, definitely! I'm so glad it's not that bad now. But it's interesting...I'm getting a very different picture of King in my head because of this book...