Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

scrappy quilt idea   General Discussion

Started Mar-11 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 835 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-11

For all you scrappy quilt lovers, here's a project that immediately caught my eye because of the bright colors.  And just look at all the ways you can incorporate all your different scraps! 

Now, beware, because this is a actually a purchased pattern BUT the components are so simple, any one of us can easily deconstruct it.

Here's the link: Diamond Dazzler

There was a discussion recently how choosing colors can make or break a decision to buy the pattern or not.  Or even if we LIKE the pattern.  *THIS* is a prime example of exactly that situation.   Take a *good* look at the bright colors above.  Gosh, I love that.  It makes me smile and feel cheerful.  Almost as though I would like to be nice to people.  Almost.  :-)

Now, click on that Diamond Dazzler link, as that will take you to the page where this quilt was made in OTHER colorways.  Honest to goodness, if I had seen any of those other samples, I would have walked right by them.   If you have a penchant for subdued colors, then those samples will speak to you but to me, they are just dull.  There is simply no sparkle in them.

You are so right, it is the bright colors that I like. Went and looked at the link and the others are all meh!

Yes lots of us can destruct a pattern just by looking at it make our version but there are others that really want to nail down the yardage and all the other stuff in a published pattern. I am not a pattern buyer and I rarely copy anything exactly as I see it anyway. Again it is the colors that make that quilt pop, bright against white really gets my attention.

judyinohio

Mar-11

A person would have so much fun in creating the bright "gaudy" multicolored version of the Diamond Dazzler if that was his or her inclination. There's an element of excitement or "What's next?" for each block. 

The other versions would settle down into boring predictability and might cause a quilter to lose interest.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-11

judyinohio said:

The other versions would settle down into boring predictability and might cause a quilter to lose interest.

I think it is the muddy undertones of the other version that don't make me happy.  I can see a monochromatic or an analogous color scheme (blue/lavendar/green) but the colors (for me) would need to be much clearer and sharp.

I agree with you that, if I was making any of the other colorways, I would quickly lose interest and think about cleaning the bathroom as a diversion. :-)

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-11

I like the color in this one.  I clicked the link.  I love purples and blues but there was no brightness to those fabrics.  Maybe they just chose the wrong ones.  You are right, I would have passed them by.

latterberry

Mar-12

Well, aren't you the new enabler!  I love it and it would be easy to deconstruct.  I am just about done with my current leader and ender project and was starting to look for another one.  Looks like I found it.  I was just going through my big tub of bright scraps and cans start cutting up some squares . Thanks so much for sharing  and I'm pleased that it let me pin it to pintrest.  

latterberry

Mar-12

LOL!  I don't think there is anything boring enough to make me choose to go clean the bathroom instead.

viola (sissly4)

Mar-12

I like the Diamond Dazzler but I would not do the border that way.It is to much.

I'm with you when you're right! :) 

LeeAnn (mom1me2)

Mar-12

I am not to the point in my quilting expertise to ‘break it down’ and create my own pattern. I have tried this with great failure.  I like the bright I. Quilts as well.... may have to save the pattern link to attempt another time.