Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Digital printed fabric   General Discussion

Started Mar-13 by Midkid5; 220 views.
Midkid5

Mar-13

A while back someone chose not to use digitally printed fabric in a baby quilt since they heard it did not stand up as well as screen printed.

I was listening to an interview with Ken Gamache president of QT Fabrics, who said that digitally is just as durable as screen printed.  QT went to digital for all of its fabric lines in 2018.

The interview gave a nice snap shot of the digital process. It was at thestitchtvshow.com.

Jo

I really enjoy The Stitch.  But there is just not enough time to watch/listen to all their videos, podcasts, etc.  Same with everyone else I really like in the quilting world.  Not enough time to keep up with all of them.  They put out SO MUCH stuff in the media.  

judyinohio

Mar-13

Here's a link for the interview which I found fascinating:

http://www.thestitchtvshow.com/digital-fabric-printing/

Now I want to figure out the difference between carded cotton fabric (used in flatbed printed fabrics, the ones with the dots in the selvages) and combed cotton fabrics (used in digital printed fabrics).  He explained that they both have the same thread count in the weave (60x 60) but it is the processing of the fabric that makes a difference.

Midkid5

Mar-13

Thanks for adding the link, Judy.

Jo

In reply toRe: msg 3
judyinohio

Mar-13

Found an amusing spoof of the difference between combed cotton T-shirts and carded cotton T-shirts.

The scruffy-looking guy wearing a carded cotton T-shirt was covered with leaves, twigs, lawn litter, etc. and the smooth handsome guy in a combed cotton T-shirt was running his hands over his nice smooth shirt that felt very soft and sexy. 

Yeah, right. Not very subtle, but evidently the combed cotton is more highly processed, smoother and has a nicer "hand" as we quilters call it.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-14

judyinohio said:

but evidently the combed cotton is more highly processed, smoother and has a nicer "hand" as we quilters call it.

Good info to have.  I have found a difference in the t shirts I buy.  Bet this is the difference.