Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Baby blankets   General Discussion

Started Mar-19 by bornblesse2; 459 views.
bornblesse2

Mar-19

Want opinions and advise!

since I am home and trying to reduce the piles in my sewing area, I thought I would cut up some donated flannel into pieces so they would be ready to sew into receiving blankets. (I’m thinking the kind with 2 pieces cut the same size, sewn, turned, and top stitch)

#1) im thinking one yard by WOF....is their a preferred size?

#2) should I prewash these before cutting?  
all of a sudden after I dug my 2 piles out, it occurred to me that flannels do not all shrink the same.  

#3). Any body have better ideas on sewing up the  flannel fast and easy?

judyinohio

Mar-19

Prewashing sounds like an excellent idea.

I think most moms would like the blankies to be square if that works well with your donated yardage.

If you have leftover odds and ends you could piece those into one "top" using that idea that Mel posted the other day using brick shapes and squares.

Ellen amazing how my life has changed in the last couple of weeks. So DH work closed the doors and sent everyone home to work remote. We are now sequestered in our house in New Mexico till further notice. We just got back from our last trip to Colorado till he goes back to brick and mortar. So right before we headed up to get our stuff from Colorado (the dog and whatever we could take in one trip in our truck.........some sewing projects for me), my daughter calls and asks if I want some fabric. Never being one to turn fabric away of course I say yes. So she and her friend who is giving the fabric away show up and tell me I get all or none.........no brainer bring it in the house. Ok I now have a HUGE pile of plastic bags full to the brim of all sorts of fabrics. We left for Colorado before I had a chance to go thru any of it. Just got home last night. I am hoping to have a look an see what is in those bags. I was told there is baby prints in flannel. Do you have any photos of the quilts you are making. I am planning on spending my time organizing all the stuff in the house and also sewing.

Oh almost forgot there is a ton of fleece, small pieces but a ton of fleece, any ideas for that?

Midkid5

Mar-19

I agree with Judy, square.  When I have made them I just cut the yardage the same as the width.

Jo

bornblesse2

Mar-19

oh Ami!  Boy do I know that feeling!  It happens to me a lot! Donations filling the house!

as far as the fleece....
I have a gal at church who crochets edges on them and I like it so much better than the ties!  We use various sizes - anything from lap size to lap robes sizes.  Smaller pieces I cut into scarves.  They make great hats too!  But I don’t do that as that would make more sewing for ME.

oh, sometimes we get long strips maybe 20” wide.  I have even butted the edges and stitched them with a feather like stitch and then made them into a throw.  It works great! (No overlap)

i trim them into a usable size and I bought a blade for my rotary cutter that makes a little slice cut.  I run that a bit from the edge and then pass them on.

i don’t know if you want to do that, but that is what we do!

bornblesse2

Mar-19

Well, this prewash ing is not gonna make this a quick and easy project!  But I am afraid the flannels may shrink differently.

guess I better start the washer.  I did go through and match some pieces that play nice and are the same in size.  Guess I will start there.

i wish I had a sewing buddy to sew as I cut.  I’m afraid I will get these into kits and them have to find another whole day to sew!.hummm.....something to think about!

judyinohio

Mar-19

Flannels come in so many different "qualities".  ( I am being polite here.)

Your lint trap in your dryer will prove what I am saying.  LOL

bornblesse2 said:

i don’t know if you want to do that, but that is what we do!

All great ideas, thanks! I guess I will prewash all the flannels I have been gifted as well as I have been following the discussion on this.

I have been spending my morning so far cleaning. We have not been living in our house for 3 years and only visit and DD lives here..........it is pretty sad how bad of a housekeeper she is, I am about to set some really firm house rules around here!!!!! The biggest rule is all 3 of us sit at the table for dinner every night..........no exceptions!

I do hope to get into the sewing room sometime today and sit in the mess there and sew for a bit...............this will be my daily reward for all the other stuff I am working on around the house.................I have a huge amount of stuff to do before it is all done!

bornblesse2

Mar-19

That was my concern!

it will just take more time to do this project.  Several loads and more strings and folding!  But some baby will love it.

In reply toRe: msg 9
bornblesse2

Mar-20

Well, I have cut as many receiving blankets kits as I could.

Nine sets ready to sew.  Marcie has offered to help while we are in stay home mode.  When I am out, I will drop them by her doorway.

next project?  Cut up the scraps into usable pieces for quilt kits