Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Anyone use Zoom?   Off-Topic Chat

Started Mar-25 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 800 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-25

I'm going to be taking a live crafting class via Zoom.  I've never frolicked with it before; does anyone have any Words of Wisdom to share?

My monitor does not have a built-in webcam.  I have a stand-alone one here "someplace" but don't ask me where I put it cuz I just don't remember.  

If I don't have a webcam, will I still be able to see/hear the instructor?  Will I be able to text questions or would I be an observer only?

My church did the service last Sunday on Zoom. I just downloaded it to my phone and it worked ok for me. I could see and hear but chose the passive, no sound or video from me.

Mishii

Mar-25

We have been zooming for a couple of years.  It's a great platform.

You can choose to show your video or not.  You can connect through a phone or your device.  Whichever one you can hear better.

It is pretty self explanatory when you open it.  Mute or not.  Video or not.

Ideally the host will have everyone muted, otherwise the least little sound will have the video jump to the "speaker".

latterberry

Mar-26

I "zoomed" for the first time a few days ago with 2 of my kids and 2 grandkids and it was fun.  First time so I didn't really know what I was doing but I think it should be fairly east once you get the hang of it.  

You can see/hear, but won't be able to have yourself live. Add a pic so they can see your face. I just had to learn for school. Also, during class we find it easier to interact using the chat feature than trying to all talk at once. :)

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-26

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

easier to interact using the chat feature than trying to all talk at once. :)

Used it for work this year.  I recommend:  mute yourself and communicate your questions via the chat section.  Hopefully there will be someone  watching for questions while the instructor is doing her presentation.

Yes; that's what we did in class. It was great with one instructor Tuesday, but the other instructor today (thankfully she didn't keep us the full 7 hrs) was spotty, and I figure she didn't have a very good internet connection. But we made it through :) It was btter than I was worried it would be.

bornblesse2

Mar-26

I haven’t used Zoom.  But that is what the school teachers are using with the students.  The teachers of lower grades are hoping I will get on Zoom and read them a few stories over the next few weeks!  That is part of what do with them in the library.  I guess I need to try it out.

viola (sissly4)

Mar-30

Our church is using it for the first time tonight.I am not going to down load it on my phone .Just the computer.

tuckyquilter

Mar-31

I have use them several times with several different situations. It’s very easy to use. You get a time when the meeting will happen,  You sign in and wait for it to start. I have done where were you actually could interact with the person doing the training or such and others that only have a chat sidebar.

My church is doing the ladies Bible study using zoom and we’re all interactive on that. We can see each other too.  It’s a very nice tool, especially for right now.