Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Health Masks   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Mar-27 by bornblesse2; 5130 views.
bornblesse2

Mar-27

To quilters out there -

I have been making masks the last couple days for the guild who requested them for the VA.

today I send some to family in the healthcare fields.

tonight I got a request from Our own - Mishii!  She needs about 70! Boy howdy, I can’t do that many. bUT I know who to ask!

anybody want to help?

(a cousin in WA would like to have mask to send home with New moms with the virus.....so other places about that could use them.)

I a, making the curved style mostly, using non woven interfacing.  This gal shows how with a link below for the pattern.  I’m doing fabric strips instead of elastic to hold up to the sanitizing!

let me know if you wanna help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fySsaOojEVM

LABFIEND

Mar-28

Is this the tutorial that makes masks that Mishii needs?  If so, I can make some.  I have resisted cause i doubt whether they are really effective, but if Mishii needs them, gotta help her!

LABFIEND

Mar-28

The fabric strips, you make ties instead of loops?

bornblesse2

Mar-28

I think healthcare people are using them over the other masks to extend the life of what they have.

I have been making these curved ones.  But, I found some very narrow boughten bias pkgs.  while I couldn’t sleep I sewed the edges together.

so, today I am going to make the rectangular ones.  Two cotton fabric pieces 6x9, 2 pieces non woven interfacing 6x9, 4 ties strings 14- 18”long.

layer fabrics RST with interfacing, start sewing along the bottom edge in the middle.  Sew to corner, insert tie, sew up side inserting ties at the top.  Sew across the top to the corner insert ties top and bottom of sides and along the bottom leaving a 2” opening.  (I reinforce the ties) Turn.  
make 3 pleats in each side and sew down the side On both sides.

Let me know if you need help.  I’ve made both kinds.

Mishii

Mar-28

The link Ellen provided has very good information on the different types of masks.  

Our staff are utilizing the square ones if a patient is exhibiting ANY type of respiratory illness.  The effectiveness of these is...eh, something is better than nothing.  The problem with these isn't the effectiveness of the material..... if you use a non-woven interfacing type, it will protect you from many things.  However, the shape of these masks is the problem.  They have gaps and if there is a gap, you aren't protected.

On N95 masks, we perform a Fit Test.  The type I have is a hood that I put over your head and tighten it around your neck.  Then I squirt some stuff inside the hood.  If you can taste it, your mask isn't sealed and it isn't effective against viruses.  You have to go through several exercises to test fit....moving your head back and forth, up and down, side to side, and speaking.

I have some time today so I'm making a few masks with the nose piece and different ties.  Monday I am going to fit test them on a few people.  If they work I will feel much more confident about our future with this part of PPE.  Doesn't help us with gowns and face shields/goggles, but if I only have to pick one PPE to use, masks would be it.

The square masks certainly have their place.  They might not protect you from all the buggies out there, but they certainly will help protect others from you.  If you are coughing, sneezing, or all around snotty (even if just allergies), if you must go out, wear a mask.  Protect your people.....you can shed the virus without even knowing you have it.

Thanks to all of you for helping.  If you can't help me, that's ok.....we are all in this together, you are helping someone and that is what counts.

Quilters are the best.

bornblesse2

Mar-28

I’m going to get what I can in the mail to you today!  Otherwise I can’t mail until Monday making it well into next week!

you will get some of both styles.  I’m ready to sew like mad! Yes, a mad woman!  Lol, I hate this virus!  I don’t use that c word too often, but it true here.

Mishii

Mar-28

You are the bomb diggity!

I would make some but I do not have the stuff here to do it and town is pretty far to try to find the stuff. If you need some without the interfacing and with ties I could do that and just add an extra layer of fabric inside or something instead of the interfacing.

bornblesse2

Mar-28

Mishii,

expect a pkg on Tuesday.  There is at least a dozen masks to get you started.  A few of both kinds.  I will keep making some as long as my interfacing lasts.  Cathy is getting some made for a pkg to send on Monday.....

nylaagain

Mar-28

Interfacing on the way. Cutting 6 x 9” fabrics today.