Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Has Anyone Designed a Super-Easy 2020 House Arrest Quilt?   Off-Topic Chat

Started Apr-27 by judyinohio; 1305 views.
judyinohio

Apr-27

Older quilter looking for a really, really clever easy idea for a quilt that could be labeled as a "House Arrest Quilt" ... perhaps scrappy, perhaps foundation pieced, perhaps no-brainer idea.

A variation on Rail Fence?

Or something that dives into a box of pre-cuts that have been "maturing"?

Or some concoction of brown bag mindless sewing?

Anyone seen anything like that on any website?

I've pitched out the 2,000 piece jigsaw puzzle that was apparently going to have about 1996 pieces and I am thinking about fiddling with fabric again.  But I don't want to think too hard just yet ....

sueinIL

Apr-27

Judy, I just downloaded (for $9.95) a cute quilt pattern called Jelly Weave from Annie's.  It uses jelly roll strips to make a design of diagonally placed "fences" that look woven.  Shouldn't be hard to find online.  Sorry, though, I have enough problems posting my own photos here to even begin to try posting a website picture from my kindle.  The quilt is really cute, and could be totally scrappy.

Sue in IL

tuckyquilter

Apr-28

I am going to put all the HST Flying Geese I've made (from my triangle scraps) into a quilt called ""House Arrest 2020"  Seems appropriate.  These are only a drop in the bucket of what I have on hand now.  I will hopefully put a bunch on my design wall Wednesday.  I've reached a point that all HST that I didn't have a partner for are being made into QST.  All different sized of the Geese so it will be a custom set of some sort.  I plan to sew then into strips of three (3) - five (5) geese or as close as possible to match block size.  Wish me luck ladies. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-28

I've seen sets such as you have described, with filler strips to take up the "extra" room where the HST/Flying Geese don't match up.  The filler strips can be used as a place for the eye to rest between all the busy-ness of the other blocks.

I think it's going to turn out wonderfully ... and think of the memories of the fabrics AND Covid-19!  :-)

judyinohio

Apr-28

Ah, you are super tidy and organized!!  Good for you.ok_hand

I do not wish to be tidy and organized. My years of tidy, precise and organized work are behind me, thank you very much. I am now entering the slap-dash, what-the-dickens phase of my quilting life. (I'm using filtered language here, Tucky.)

Fortunately I have the wit to go to Etsy where I found Karen Griska.  (Just go to Etsy.com and type her name in the search box.)

I really did not need to give her $5.00.  I really did not need to buy one of  her patterns for I do have the wits to figure out her schemes but I was so grateful for her display of eye candy that I did purchase one downloadable pattern just so I could thank her for the inspiration she offered to me today.

You can take a stab at guessing which pattern I downloaded but it really does not matter. I have a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle to finish and then I will press and chop up some fabrics and begin to stitch colorful pieces of fabric again.  wink

tuckyquilter

Apr-28

Tidy and Organized threw me for a loop... lol  also - you only see the HST -  not the rest of the sewing area, or the floor.  

I do have a bunch of cheap 9x13 Dollar store cookie sheets that I use for quilting.  There were just so darn many HST, of all sizes, that matching up the already sewn ones was becoming a problem - enter the cookie sheets.  Plus I can lay the various project pieces on a sheet and use wax paper to separate the blocks of whatever I'm working on. I just stack them up on top of each other to save space.

BUT you sure made me feel good... I'm now going to brag to the local gals that "someone" declared me Tidy.. you'll hear them laughing I'm sure. LOL

judyinohio

Apr-28

Well, dear woman, you did not show us the "crime scene".

How was I to know?   LOL

There was a time when I made messes. Years ago.  Here's one "crime scene" and the result:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjCNhLWz

But I do not tackle big organized projects like those any more because my hands, wrists and shoulders are just plain worn out. I need simple beginner projects now, projects that do not require much accuracy or thinking. My days of foundation piecing beauties like the ones I made from Karen K. Stone patterns that took months of precision work are pleasant memories. 

But I still like bright colors and playing with fabric ...

Oh, that's cute! That could be done in a day or so! Love :) 

tuckyquilter

Apr-29

That is one heck of a recovery.  Love the quilts, and the pile of scraps you used is phenomenal as well.  You had to cut it all into usable pieces, which takes time.   In my case, the triangles were already cut when they arrived at my place, in grocery sacks.  this helped me to get ahead of the game from the start.  LOL  

We quilting gals are extremely good at taking what we have and making something beautiful.   

This house arrest has been very productive for most of us.