Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Foundation?   General Discussion

Started May-5 by Judy (DJZMOM); 1779 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

May-5

Has anyone used dryer sheets for foundation for scrappy strip blocks such as these?

Oh, those are gorgeous! 

I collected dryer sheets to use, but I was told by others on this forum, I think, that dryer sheets are too flammable. Pirate said to use tissue paper, as it dissolves when you wash it. That was my plan next, as the last time I used phone book, and that was a PAIN!

Hi there!

I found this on Quilting Board:

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-dont-use-dryer-sheets-string-quilting-applique-t184122-3.html

I have a friend who uses phone book pages, but not all of us have phone books anymore.

I've used lightweight muslin, but even that added quite a bit of weight to the finished top when it came time to quilt it on my Juki TL2010.

I've actually done a few with no foundation whatsoever.  Turned out fine.

Looking forward to reading other quilters' comments.

In reply toRe: msg 3
judyinohio

May-5

The Missouri Star used to offer the perfect paper for foundation piecing 10" squares for string quilts (I have a packet in my sewing room) but when I just checked their website they no longer offer it.  They offer a package of large  pre-cut triangle of this paper (which is slightly heavier than tissue gift wrap paper but not much) and which has a faint red pattern printed on it. 

I thought it was perfect for the job ... strong enough but not too strong.

But, alas, it is not offered on their site any more.  Guess Jenny Doan created too many quilters and demand was too high.  disappointed

Judy (DJZMOM)

May-5

Thanks so much Patricia.  I've used light muslin too.  Just wondering if I need to keep saving my dryer sheets as the jar is very stuffed.  Tonight is "take the garbage cans out night" so maybe I'll just toss them!  

Judy (DJZMOM)

May-5

Meant to add...  maybe I'll just do them without any foundation.  Thanks!

Judy (DJZMOM)

May-5

Thanks Judy.  I think I'll go back to using lightweight muslin or try without a foundation piece.

I NEVER use foundation. The only exception is when I am participating in a swap and it is required. I prefer to use nothing. If you press things nicely as you go it is really not different than any other kind of piecing. I have made lots of projects with no foundation and they all turned out fine. I know some prefer to use it and that is great for them.

LABFIEND

May-5

Judy (DJZMOM) said:

maybe I'll just do them without any foundation.  Thanks!

That is what i started doing, not use any foundation, just sew till I think they are big enough and then trim.  I think the foundations make them too heavy.

Judy (DJZMOM)

May-6

Thanks Ami and Patty!!!  I'll get rid of the dryer sheets and just do without!