Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

hoarders??   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started May-11 by latterberry; 517 views.
latterberry

May-11

First it was toilet paper, hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, etc..  Now food and freezers?  Good grief.  DD decided she would like a small freezer since the one with her fridge is small.  She likes to make up meals, freeze them. and have an easy dinner after work.  DH got online to help her look and low and behold, there is not a freezer to be found anywhere!  There are even articles on how people are stockpiling frozen foods and needing freezers.  We did order one from an appliance dealer but it won't be in until July! DD did say that she went to Costco and there wasn't a single bag of frozen veggies left.   Am I missing something?  Is there some apocalypse coming that I'm not aware of?   

Midkid5

May-11

It not all hoarders.  There are many things that have been shut down.  I have heard for a long time there is a thirty day food supply.  Put these things all together and there are going to be shortages. If the manufacturers of frozen foods are shut down there is not going to be frozen veggies in the stores, if the growers can't get workers to pick the vegetables even if plants are running there are going to be shortages.

We are living in something that is very new to the whole world.

Jo

• Edited May 11, 2020 9:20 am  by  Midkid5
judyinohio

May-11

Our Meijer store has plenty of choices to buy in  the frozen foods aisles ... everything from frozen meals in bags (Bertoli Italian things, PF Chang Chinese, etc.) , frozen breads, veggies, ice creams, breakfasts, pizzas, low-calorie stuff, healthy choices, the whole gamut of frozen items to select.

I suppose it all depends on where you live, Lynne.  Here in small town Ohio you could live on frozen foods from popsicles to gourmet to diet to healthy for weeks.  We don't have a Costco or a Sam's Club here in our little  corner of the world, just Kroger's, Meijer's, Aldi's and Walmart.  And I never see many cars in the Aldi's parking lot.

And now there seems to be plenty of choices in toilet paper here, too.

judyinohio

May-11

Where did you hear about a thirty day food supply?  Did you read that somewhere? Sounds silly to me.

Midkid5

May-11

I have heard and read it different places over the years.  Saying that if there is a disruption in the food chain...producer, manufacturers, shipper, retail, to customer that the supplies on hand would last about thirty days before shortages developed.  

I seen a news story about ten days ago where the squash was rotting in the fields because there was no worker to pick it.  You can't grow squash or any other vegetable over night.  I also knew that pigs are being destroyed because the slaughter houses are not open.  So eventually there are going to be some shortages, depending when things start operating again.

Jo

tuckyquilter

Jun-20

I came across this little item and remembered your post about your daughter and meals. These might be a huge help for her.  I haven't tried them YET.. but it looks sensible.  Wish these had been around when I had the whole family at home. I put stuff in ziplock bags and then into boxes in my freezer.   Mine was very large though.  

latterberry

Jun-20

Interesting.  I never heard of it and will have to check it out.

CC (ccase5)

Jun-20

yes, i heard about the freezers. huge t.v.'s too. entertainment i guess. My son laughs at me when i get something we are not out of yet. you never know if it will be there next shopping trip.
by the way don't bother to put any make-up on when shopping. the mask covers it!! ask me how i know....
latterberry

Jun-20

LOL!  I gave up wearing make up long time ago.  What you see is what you get.   

CC (ccase5)

Jun-20

me too most times but i'm so very pale without much eyebrows,i get tired of people asking if i am ill..... sigh.