Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Amish Diamond Log Cabin off set star   General Discussion

Started May-12 by Dippledock; 336 views.
Dippledock

May-12

Have any of you tried to make the Amish Diamond log cabin off set star? I wont say name of pattern supplier. I bought and tried both of the patterns from this particular shop, and both had instructions and pattern sizes so far off no one could make them. I contacted shop (after learning there are more than three with the same name) and was told yes they had a problem and would supply updated instructions. I received by email new instruction sheet, and without even getting past first instruction found a mistake. I completely redrew the whole pattern and refigured the design to finally work out. The pattern I got had on the bottom that it was a Electric quilt design. My experience with EQ is you cannot trust the pattern sizes it produces. I double check all patterns. Just wondering what anyone else experienced with these patterns.

tuckyquilter

May-12

I think I'd ask for my money back on this one. The maker/publisher should have had a test group of folks to make the quilt before they put it out to the general public.  That would just drive me crazy.

Wouldn't that be a great job.. Quilt Pattern Tester... 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-12

tuckyquilter said:

Wouldn't that be a great job.. Quilt Pattern Tester... 

I've done that a couple of times.  It's more difficult than you think.  For myself, I needed to absolutely FORGET how I would normally do it.  I had to **pay attention** to the directions, as they were written, and evaluate them from the point of view of someone else.

My goal was to determine if the directions, as written, were accurate and able to followed.

Boy, there were times when I would just shake my head and think .... nope, nope, nope.  That's not the way to sew X.   :-)

Dippledock

May-12

We had a quilt shop for over forty years, and had our own precut quilt kits and just plain quilt patterns. We had a lady that made all of our kits before we sold any of them or any patterns. We furnished everything, and she got to keep or dispose of what she made. All we asked was a written evaluation of pattern or precut kit. She was very through and we really appreciated what she did for us.

Dippledock

May-12

The directions weren't that bad, it was the pattern piece sizes. Started out at cut such and such, and then modified pattern was changed to cut a different such and such size. Neither of which would make the proper triangle pieces or log cabin blocks, or the the second triangle blocks. I wasted about 6 yards of fabric by cutting all pieces ahead. My wife said dont pitch them, she will repurpose them. Good luck.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-12

Dippledock said:

I wasted about 6 yards of fabric by cutting all pieces ahead

OH NO!    No, no,no!    Oh, noooooooooooooooooo!    arrrggghhhh!

judyinohio

May-12

I went to the website and clicked around.

Did you see how cheap her patterns were?  That says a lot, IMHO.

latterberry

May-13

How awful!  Precisely the reason I only cut out one or two blocks and make them up before I do any more cutting.  

Dippledock

May-14

Cheap doesn't always mean its bad. When we had our shop (in an unpopulated area) we had to keep our prices down. When we did have out of area shoppers, they couldn't believe we had such low prices, but that's how we could stay open. We didnt get rich, but we had 40 years of great customers and made a living. One particular event comes to mind. My wife fell in love with feedsacks, and she has to this day about 600. Aunt Gracies reproductions came out just after we opened our shop. My wife bought several of the collections, several because each salesman had a different number of "we carry the full collection" to sell. We had them in our shop for $5.00 a yard. When Judy wrote her book about the end of her collection, we had other shops calling us to buy fabric from us. We were told they had some of the more popular prints at $19.50 a yard and were getting it. We never did raise our prices as we DID NOT GOUGE our customers. 

Marcia from quilterscache had testers...not paid, but it was cool