Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

End of an Era - some sad news   Off-Topic Chat

Started May-19 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1250 views.

Those of you who have been around here for a while may know that I am an accountant with Pier 1 Imports.  Here is our press release this morning.  I knew it was likely coming, knew since last November.  Still it hurts that a company 58 years old this year will be gone soon.

https://investors.pier1.com/news-releases/news-release-details/pier-1-intends-pursue-orderly-wind-down-business-operations?fbclid=IwAR0KI5ke2H-gULexQfBmt51J3bTJQw-NlnBWDj-Ng6aOvIMqA49zat394HU

bornblesse2

May-19

This is so sad.....

any idea how long your job will continue?  And then what, for you.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-19

I'm so sorry to hear of this, Dee.  What plans do you have now?

They have asked me to stay through the wind-down, probably somewhere around the end of November.  But 100% remote.  We have moved out of our corporate office as of the end of May.  We have another location where our photo studio and customer service were located.  They've set up some work stations and meeting rooms but no assigned spaces.  I am enjoying the remote part - I have converted our dining room to an office and it's very nice.  As far as after?  Sigh.  I am guessing I will try doing some consulting or temp work.  I'm kind of at that stage of my career.  6 months is still a long time, who knows what will come up during that time.

thanks Shelley.  See my reply to Ellen.

judyinohio

May-19

How very sad that a good chunk of your life has to end with a fizzle like that.

No happy retirement party, no fond farewells ...  but you do have excellent office memories of all those wonderful smiles and tears you generated with "quilting" occasions when you rendered people speechless with gift quilts, don't you?

Cathy (cacnurse1)

May-19

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

Still it hurts that a company 58 years old this year will be gone soon.

Sorry to hear this.  It sounds like it has been in the works for awhile.  I'm sure the Covid 19 issues have finalized many businesses that were in trouble prior to the pandemic, like JCPenneys.  Sounds like you are not quite ready to retire.  Hope what you want pops up in the future will be something you can enjoy.

I was just reading one of the articles, talking about 13 retailers that may not survive the pandemic.  it referenced, P1, JC Penny, AND JoAnn's.  Yikes guys.  what will we do with no JoAnn's?  

I am working on 3 t-shirt quilts for coworkers right now.  Makes me smile imagining their surprise.