Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stopping Squirrels From Chewing on Brand New Patio Furniture   Off-Topic Chat

Started May-29 by judyinohio; 1202 views.
judyinohio

May-29

This might be the most peculiar topic on our forum for the month of May, 2020 but we have experts on all topics in this group that willingly share all kinds of knowledge.

For decades DH and I had a set of patio furniture that was made with metal frames, woven synthetic fibers on seats and a glass topped table. This old furniture got to the point that it was looking very "tired" and it really couldn't be cleaned very well any more.

So we bought new patio furniture that is made with some kind of synthetic material that hoses off nicely and looks bright and clean all of the time.

And it apparently tastes just like walnuts or hickory nuts or peanuts; here's proof that a squirrel settled down on a patio chair for a nice snack on the edge of the chair's arm yesterday, just like he/she was munching on an ear of corn.  There have been other nibbles at other places but this time a critter really settled in for a meal and made a  pig of himself or herself. 

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to keep squirrels off of patio furniture that tastes like walnuts? (Or peanuts?)

Yes, we know that squirrels are the culprits. We've seen three of them playing tag in the back yard, on the fence, on the patio, all spring long ... we assume they are littermates and we have jokingly named them Larry, Curly and Moe.

tuckyquilter

May-29

We have had a horrible infestation of squirrels in my community as well, and the only way to get rid of them is to kill them. Here they have been chewing through conduit, electrical in attic’s, etc.  They are nastier than rats will ever be. We’re to the point that we’re having fish and game come out and currently our pest control or poisoning them. Sadly we have an idiot who keeps feeding the wild animals there for encouraging more  to come.  Pray for Owls because owls eat squirrels

judyinohio

May-29

My local idiot lives in a house diagonally across the street and I think she thinks she is Mother Nature. The man directly across the street from us told me  he saw her carrying a large bag of unshelled peanuts into her house; he suspects she scatters them in her fenced in back yard. 

I have stopped planting wax begonias in the pots on my patio because I was finding unshelled peanuts buried in my flower pots for the last two  years. (I already have oak and hickory trees in our lot next door so the "tree rats" have enough natural food where they build their nests, thank you very much.)

Decades ago when we lived in Michigan I used to scatter moth balls in my flower beds to discourage bunny rabbits from eating my tulip blossoms and I was hoping something simple like that would work on squirrels ...

tuckyquilter

May-29

Also shredded up steel wool cuts their feet and they try to stay away from me. I have a stand that I should get them and I’m getting fewer on my patio these days but all my plants are almost dead  anyway.  First rule of thumb if you love animals, don’t feed wild life as it alters their behavior.

In reply toRe: msg 4
tuckyquilter

May-29

Should have read, I have a stun gun with a really loud cracking noise that they don’t like. I don’t game at them but close to them and they usually leave for the day

judyinohio

May-29

tuckyquilter said:

I have a stand that I should get them and I’m getting fewer on my patio these days

I don't understand what you meant to say by that.  "I have a stand that I should get them"?  Was that what you corrected by referring to your stun gun with the loud cracking noise?  You don't "aim at them"?

Not sure that DH and I are ready to buy a stun gun and sit out on the patio 24 hours a day armed to the teeth with weaponry like that.

Mishii

May-29

tuckyquilter said:

Pray for Owls because owls eat squirrels

If the squirrels are poisoned, the owls will be as well.

I bet if you google you can find some stuff you can put on the furniture to keep them away. Yesterday I was googling how to keep deer from eating plants..............I found that hot sauce diluted with water sprayed on the plants does the trick. I am sure there might be similar deterrents for squirrels.

Here we have a problem with rodents chewing the wires in our vehicles, they have caused some pretty expensive damage over the years. We do live in the woods so we do get lots of critters here.

I read somewhere that animals do not like the scent of Irish Spring soap.  You can Google for specific details of how to use it/where to place it for greatest effectiveness.  I've never tried it, but it's worth a try.

judyinohio

May-29

Followed Ami's suggestion of using Google and learned that squirrels don't like apple cider vinegar and also don't like soap.

I'll combine both ideas ... yours for Irish Spring soap and and the vinegar.  (I'll go back to Google and see what it says about Irish Spring.)