Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

60 degree triangles   General Discussion

Started Jun-19 by Midkid5; 528 views.
Midkid5

Jun-19

Looking at a pattern called Pyramid Points that's made with all  60 degree triangles.  There are some rows that long portions are just background fabric.  Is there any pit falls to just cutting a strip of fabric with the diagonal end rather than piecing 15 or 16 triangles together?

Jo

judyinohio

Jun-19

Is there any way you could share a photo of the quilt pattern?

I can't seem to locate a picture using Google so I cannot wrap my brain around your question.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-19

This pattern? 

Honestly, I don't see why you couldn't do a row of the fabric and cut the end off at an angle.  If the print is busy enough, you'd never see the seam lines anyway so why introduce a lot of occasions for error?  I like your idea of combing adjacent triangles into a single fabric strip.

tuckyquilter

Jun-19

Looks like a great quilt.  I agree with Pirate. I'd use as many strips as possible.  Of course the pattern is allowing for seam allowances on each triangle.  So plan carefully.  It will be a great looking quilt when finished.

CC (ccase5)

Jun-20

I had to save the link to that one. it's on my to do list!!
Midkid5

Jun-20

Yes that's the pattern.  I'm working on a mono scrappy 60 degree triangle one now and struggling not to have to use jack.

Jo

bornblesse2

Jun-22

Now that is quite the idea....hummmm.....

but, I am dealing with other scraps and need to finish what is on my plate.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Midkid5

Jul-27

A note about this pattern....it does not appear that it will finish 70x90. If you look at Pirates post you can see the red line where it shows to trim the finished top. Why in the world would you need to trim one and a half triangles off each side row?  As I haven't finished this top yet I can not be sure but it does appear that the fabric requirements are off, I will try to remember to report back on this.

Jo

CC (ccase5)

Jul-27

I agree, it seems to make more triangles for the sides than would be necessary. just for a teeny tad of fabric maybe but I wouldn't do it.
Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-27

I think I would move those red lines over to the next point...