Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Batting choices   General Discussion

Started Jun-19 by Mel Harris (MelHarris1); 453 views.

So I put on one of my other quilts the other day. It was made with the quilter's selection of batting...I think it was warm & natural. I use Quilter's Dream Request when I choose. Oh, my gracious! I like to sleep cool. If this is warm & natural, or maybe 80/20, it's made for winter! Too heavy and thick for me in the summer, especially. No thanks!

I know batting is totally a personal choice, and I'm not dissing anyone else's idea. Just curious...what do you guys all do/like? Do you differ from one season to the other?

3carats (MaryDinFL)

Jun-19

I use Warm and White for everything. It is on my bed year round. My DH wraps up like a burrito because he is always cold. I fold the quilt back and just cover with the sheet winter and summer.

I buy it by the bolt when it is on sale at JoAnn's.

I feel like I used to use W&N, but got in the habit of this other, and got used to the weight, etc.

sueinIL

Jun-20

My all-time favorite was Cream Rose.  Joann's carried it and then they didn't.  Hobby Lobby did, and then they quit, too.  I haven't tried to buy it online, so I don't know if it's even made anymore.  It was thin, soft, drapey, and easy to hand or machine quilt.  Just lovely, and I miss it.

Sue in IL

tuckyquilter

Jun-20

I will use Warm & Natural if the quilt will be given to someone in colder climate.  Until recently though, I was buying Natures Pellon 80/20 from Overstock.com by the roll (20 yds x 90") for under $80.  I checked when I saw this post and they don't have it as a product right now.  I'll keep checking because I really like the lighter weight for most of my quilts.

tuckyquilter said...

I'll keep checking because I really like the lighter weight for most of my quilts.

That's why I like Quilter's Dream Request, because it's super lightweight and drapey if it's not overquilted...you know, sometimes things are for decor, and some are for sleeping. Anyway, I can layer an electric blanket in winter, or just use with my sheets in the summer and it makes me happy. :) 

My all-time favorite was Cream Rose

Looks like you can still get it on Walmart.com, and amazon! :) 

sueinIL

Jun-21

Thanks! I'm going to look!

Sue in IL

tuckyquilter

Jun-21

Mel Harris (MelHarris1) said:

Quilter's Dream Request

I'll have to check this out for trying out on a future quilt.   Where do you purchase this?   Local store or online?  

I use a lot of batting on charity quilts so price has also been an issue for me to consider.  Actually most of my quilts these days are for charity or Quilts of Valor .