Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Triangles at the outer edges of quilts   General Discussion

Started Jun-24 by sueinIL; 826 views.
sueinIL

Jun-24

I'm making up a cute pattern called "Jelly Weave" from Cluck Cluck Sew. There are 40 woven-look blocks that are set on point.  According to the instructions,m once you get the top together, you cut away all the blocks at the edges to make a straight edge.  THERE IS NO WAY!  There's a lot of work in those blocks, and I am NOT cutting them in half!  What I want to do is put triangles of the background fabric in those spaces at the side and top/bottom edges.  Somewhere there is a chart of how large to cut those triangles and the small ones at the corners, too.  I'd rather be able to add them to the ends of rows now, before I sew the diagonal rows together. 

Do any of you remember such a chart?  It would be very helpful.  Thanks!

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Jun-24

Sue, I looked up the designer's website and her pattern.  It's a very cute quilt as she designed it. She is correct about cutting off the blocks at the edges to make a straight edge. IMHO you are just asking for trouble if you  work with inserting those triangles at the end of rows. It will make the quilt larger; I don't think it will make the quilt look prettier.

There is a book called "All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool" written by Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson and Liz Aneloski. On page 22 there is a chart that will give you the information about side and corner setting triangles that you are looking for. However, I do not think it would be a good idea because it is an awful lot of extra work and I don't think it would add anything to the quilt.

Just one quilter's opinion ..... please send me two cents.  LOL

sueinIL

Jun-24

Good thought.  I think I'll make up a few triangles and see how they look and then fold some outer triangles in half to compare the looks.  I don't mind making the quilt bigger, but I also wouldn't want to end the sides with a blah triangle.  I just cringe at the thought of cutting all those blocks in half!

Sue in. IL

judyinohio

Jun-24

Maybe you could make yourself some cute potholders out of the cut-offs?  wink

I looked up the pattern as well. There was a photo of what she cut away.............wow that is a lot of waste. What I would do if I were making this would be to draft a pattern for those edge blocks with a little extra that could be trimmed away. Less waste. The one big caution I have for this pattern is that the edges are all bias.............that could mean stretching so be really careful of that. It is a cute pattern.

judyinohio

Jun-24

Excellent point about the bias edges.

She could stay-stitch near cutting line before cutting to help stabilize the cut edges. 

Then handle cut-offs gently while she makes the potholders.  LOL

sueinIL

Jun-24

Thanks to both of you!  The stay-stitching is a good idea.  I could draw the sewing line on first, sew, and then cut the blocks in half. Then all those seam ends wouldn't pull apart either. I'm still going to audition the triangle ends first to decide if it really does look bad.

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Jun-24

2 cents!  Double Ha!

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Jun-24

Perfect!  Now to print it out.  Thank you, Mel!

Sue in IL