Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rose Window Quilt   General Discussion

Started Jul-1 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 592 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-1

I would like to bring your attention to this amazing quilt.  You can buy it as a kit or just the pattern (although you also need the 2 specific rulers+books to make it).  It's called "Rose Window" and is designed by Robin Ruth.  I saw it in the latest Keepsake Quilting & Notions catalogue (Fall Preview 2020).  (I don't know if you can click on the image to make it bigger but if you can, do so.  It's gorgeous)

I have to admit I was very tempted.  This really is the sort of design that I am attracted to.  Then I read that it features a striking center medallion surrounded by other fussy cut ‘stained glass window’ pieces.  Hmmm.  Further reading astonished me because you use strip piecing, not paper piecing.  Hmmmm.

I'm not intimidated by paper piecing; it gives you incredible accuracy.  Being required to buy TWO specialty rulers (plus their instruction books) to make this quilt annoyed me.  Lord knows I have purchased enough specialty rulers over the years to fund a small country.  Typically, you use them once for the project and then never again.  Annoying.

But when I read that the finished size is only 68"x68", my mouth dropped open.  HOLY MOLEY.  **All that work** you get a measly 68"x68" throw????  You've really got to be kidding me.  Dang, for that much work, I want something *substantial*.

I'm glad that there was more than one thing about this quilt that has persuaded me not to buy it.  I certainly do not need another new quilt project .. I still have PLENTY in my sewing room to work on!  (and it's amazing at how long projects take when you don't work on them, ya know?)

Anyway, I just wanted to bring this to y'alls attention for admiration because it *is* astonishingly beautiful.

judyinohio

Jul-1

It is absolutely awesome.

I went to the Keepsake website, found the kit and clicked around so I could see the Fassett fabrics they use in the kit. Drooled all over my keyboard.

But it is not for me at my decrepit state. Twenty years ago I would have been all over this thing as it would make a traffic-stopping wall hanging ...

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-1

Lovely...does look like a stained glass Rose window...

but..not tempted!

LindaPutt

Jul-1

I was thinking you made a Rose Window and I loved it.  If I'm remembering right about that, do you have a picture of it to refresh my memory?

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-1

You have a phenomenal memory!   Yes, I did, although it was a faux Rose window.  I had found a printed batik that was printed in a center medallion plus side panels.  The pattern that I used was "Garden Gate" by Patch Work Studios. 

Alas,  the company that sold that batik (Bold Over Batiks) no longer has a website (that I could find).   Further research revealed that Bold Over Batiks ceased business in 2012.

The pattern company's page for their stained glass patterns is here, although the Garden Gate pattern doesn't appear to be listed.

My webpage for my faux Rose Window is here

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-2

ah...I remember seeing that one..at least on your website!

gorgeous

LindaPutt

Jul-2

That's it!  I remember because it's one of my all-time favorites of yours.  It's such a pretty quilt!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-2

LindaPutt said:

I remember because it's one of my all-time favorites of yours.  It's such a pretty quilt!

So kind of you to say so!  I'm really chuckling because that quilt was **so much a fake quilt** that I felt guilty making it.  :-)   it was too easy.  It was also terminally boring: I machine zig-zagged all the raw edges of the black fabric.  Oh my lord, was that BORING.

But it did turn out so pretty. :-)   Thanks. :-)

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-2

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I machine zig-zagged all the raw edges of the black fabric.  Oh my lord, was that BORING.

I felt  that way after three rounds of zig zagging 'Miss MaryJane'....(my machine does not have a good satin stitch...sigh)