Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I'm Just an Amateur ...   General Discussion

Started Jul-13 by judyinohio; 691 views.
judyinohio

Jul-13

Spent the last few days picking the papers off the back of my foundation pieced "2020 House Arrest" quilt and I'm pleased with the overall look of the thing. There's a two inch border around my 50" x 60" quilt top and I found a good looking remnant of  backing fabric at Christian Lane Quilters, the place that sells "Fat Backs" and other wide pieces of fabrics.  Cut a piece of cotton batting to fit so I more or less have a "kit" ready to go on Lily Aurora but the basement is just too darned cold this time of year.

We don't have a door at the top of the basement stairs and so (as you northerners well know) cold air goes down the basement steps and our basement is cold, cold, cold. Lily Aurora (my HQ 16) doesn't exactly have pretty ice  snowflake dripping off of her handles and frame but I am sure that it would be unpleasant to stand down there and try to work in the chilled air.

So that now makes three finished quilt tops I've turned into kits recently ....

I've been hanging out with forum members too long.

My inner Dorothy (my long departed mom) has faded into a pale memory and I've been making new things without finishing up the previous thing. 

My inner Dorothy does not haunt and nag me any more.

You forum members have been a baaaadddd influence.

But then I'm just an amateur compared to some of this group's quilters who have a lot more than three unfinished quilts.

judyinohio said:

But then I'm just an amateur compared to some of this group's quilters who have a lot more than three unfinished quilts.

To tell the truth I have absolutely no idea how many UFO's I have, and I really do not worry about it. I bet there are others that might have even more than I do.

I do know that I have at least 12 tops in a box by the longarm waiting their turn to be quilted and there are even more in another box. I have no idea how many more are in various stages of progress and that is fine. I never get bored because there is always something fun to pull out and work on.

Midkid5

Jul-13

Well if inner Dorothy really starts to nag you, there's always a portable heater to warm Lily up.

Jo

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-14

judyinohio said:

um, yeah.  At last count, I think I had 42 tops to be quilted.  Granted, not all of them are bed sized quilts, but they do need to be quilted

latterberry

Jul-14

Well, well, well, Judy.  Welcome to the dark side.  I must admit that I am surprised, but I don't blame you for not wanting to stand in the cold.  My sewing room is in the basement and it does get a bit nippy down there but I like it that way.  You will have plenty to keep you busy when the temperatures permit. I am glad you are back to playing with your fabrics!

I have enough UFOs to keep me from getting bored by working on just one, but not as bad as others.  I only have 2 projects that I work on at a time.  One main one and one leader/ender one, but  I do have about 8 or 9 waiting to be quilted.  My thoughts are that when I leave this world, if the tops are finished, it will be easy for someone to take over and quilt it.  Since I never use a pattern ( I look at a photo and go from there), it would be harder to figure out and just get pitched.  

judyinohio

Jul-14

Yeah, I have these three things neatly organized .... top, backing and batting in a tidy stack .... so that DD or Other Daughter could load a "kit" on Lily Aurora and finish the quilt if they were so inclined.

That's the plan.

Other Daughter will inherit Lily Aurora some day so I will haunt her if she doesn't finish my UFO's.  LOL.

latterberry said:

My thoughts are that when I leave this world, if the tops are finished, it will be easy for someone to take over and quilt it.  Since I never use a pattern ( I look at a photo and go from there), it would be harder to figure out and just get pitched.  

My thoughts exactly: if I can get it to the top stage then it will be easy for someone to take it to a longarmer and get it quilted and bound. Some of my stuff in progress not even I know how it will end up until just the right inspiration hits. I have made a few concerted efforts over the years to work on UFOs and have generated lots of tops form block swaps but I keep finding more.

CC (ccase5)

Jul-14

Is Colorado North enough? we had a door to our basement. I would always be afraid of falling down the stairs without a door, not to mention the cold problem. Now, I'm in Texas with over 100 heat!!! want some??
judyinohio

Jul-14

My DH's woodworking shops are in the basement and it is a straight shot from the garage to his "playrooms", handy for hauling lumber down the stairs. That worked for many years until he became too disabled for hauling exotic woods down the stairs ...

Now we have a chairlift running down those stairs for when he wants to go down there and again, it is convenient to not have a door in the way.

Thanks for the kind offer to share your heat but I'll take the change of seasons that we have here in Ohio. We considered moving to Plano when my DH finished his residency in 1980 and we visited a high school buddy (who had grown up in Rochester, NY) who had lived in Plano for years. She told me she was wretched in Texas and strongly discouraged us from moving there ....

tuckyquilter

Jul-14

LOL  We all have our strengths and our lesser strengths.. I have AAQDD - oh look another great quilt block.. sorry, We just need to go with what  --oh LOOK at that great fabric  --opps sorry  -- we feel is good for us.  Things get done at some point or we can --  OH look a new pattern , I must buy more fabric  - -  always finish them down the road OR pass them to some other loving hands...

I'm in the love it or pass it down the road stage on fabric and in the I'm going to make something out of all this started crap, one way or the other.