Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Child Support in Texas   General Discussion

Started Jul-22 by CC (ccase5); 285 views.
CC (ccase5)

Jul-22

Does anyone here know anything about child support in Texas?
my son was out of a job for about 3 years. only worked once in awhile at part time jobs. i paid his child support for two years but had to stop. Now in the middle of this Covid 19 thing, he got a job. whew. but only got $70.00 of his first check since they took out for the support and some more for back payments. He is living with me so he only needs gas money for the most part.
Now they said he must take out medical insurance on his daughter even though she is under a policy her mother (who knows extremely well how to use our Government policies) has on her. the system seems to be broken but no one wants to look at fixing it. men must pay child support but usually have other bills too.
He is just waiting to see what they do. Is there any office he can call to see why they require insurance when she is under a policy already? I hate all this mess but one must do what is right.
any ideas out there for me?
Midkid5

Jul-23

I hope someone can give you some answers or direct you to someplace that can give you some answers.  I know here in ND the most that can be taken of a pay check is half after taxes no matter how far behind in support.

Jo

CC (ccase5)

Jul-23

thanks. i can understand half but almost all or all of it is ridiculous. severely. Funny when i remember i only asked for $25.00 a week from my ex-husband and hardly ever got that!
tuckyquilter

Jul-23

They will most likely take into account that he is living with you and therefore isn't paying rent, utilities etc.  He could ask the DA for a modification until he gets back on his feet.  Plus if he can't afford insurance and his work doesn't provide it, that might be considered undue hardship. HE should try and file for medical insurance for himself, through the welfare office and see what happens.  AND food stamps too.  What's the worst that could happen.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-23

tuckyquilter said:

What's the worst that could happen.

LOL!   That's exactly the question we ask (in our family) when we are problem solving.  If you can think of the worst case scenario and have a solution for that, then everything else is something better.

So, with that in mind, our middle daughter was living in NYC with 2 other roommates.  One of the roommates was having boyfriend problems and generally dissolving into a puddle  of good.  Our daughter, being the kind-hearted person that she is, tried to help the roommate problem solve.  She asked the roommate precisely that question: "what would be the worst that could happen?" ...... thinking in terms of the boyfriend because that was the problem yes?

Well the roommate got this deer-in-headlights look and came up with this answer: "Nuclear war with China?".   <thunk head on wall>

Yes, you are correct, that WOULD be the worst case scenario but let's think **in terms of your relationship** rather than world-wide.    Sigh.

I don't remember if a resolution was ever found.

CC (ccase5)

Jul-23

I'm not even sure they know he's living with me or care. I've spent so much of the money left over from the sale of my house in Colorado since moving back to Texas, it isn't funny. Scary, yes. One big reason I quit paying the child support! My youngest granddtr is now 16. the other two girls left their mother at that age. she works the government like a pro. Always has. lies through her teeth. she is remarried but that doesn't help. He's probably the same.
sigh. well i'm not used to this kind of life. I've earned my living, saved and never asked the Government for anything other than my SS ck. my son never worries about anything. stuff just happens. Me, i worry. Well we will see what happens. paperwork never got anyone anywhere. thanks.