Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

new toy   General Discussion

Started Aug-5 by latterberry; 617 views.
latterberry

Aug-5

Wow--everyone must be on vacation.  It' so quiet here!  I just thought I would tell you about my new toy.  I mistakenly showed my DH a featherweight that was on an online auction I was following.  I had no intention on bidding on it but he did anyway.  He knows how much I like them and wanted to get it for me.  (He's  keeper!) It was pretty dull, dusty, and dirty but after some TLC, she is a shiny beauty and sews so sweetly.   She was made in 1947 and has a tray of goodies with her in the case.  I was surprised when I opened it up that it didn't have that musty smell that so many of them do.  The person that had her had placed a chunk of charcoal  in the case.  I've already done a lot of piecing on her.

judyinohio

Aug-5

Your DH  was a indeed a sweetie to buy that FW for you. They are great piecing machines.

Thanks for sharing the tip about storing the old machines with a chunk of charcoal; I had never heard that one before.

Have you ever read about deodorizing the old Singer cases with kitty litter? That works well. Supposedly there was something in the old glue that was used when the factory lined the cases with a paper lining that made cases  go stinky when the cases were kept closed for years on end.The problem is solved by leaving a dish of modern granular kitty litter in a closed case for a couple of weeks.

bornblesse2

Aug-5

Wow, that is fun!  I have never had a featherweight, but so many do.  They are sturdy little guys!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Aug-5

He is a keeper.  Enjoy her!

sueinIL

Aug-6

Lynne, it must be time to have a family member give an unexpected gift!  My DD found a featherweight in a "coffin case" on FB marketplace, so she bought it for ME! I haven't yet seen the sewing machine, but the case is beautiful! She paid $70.

Sue in IL

latterberry

Aug-7

Wow!  Good for you.  $70??!!  That is amazing. I bet you are anxious to see it.

tuckyquilter

Aug-21

How did I miss a photo of a featherweight? I love those little Gauls.

sueinIL

Aug-22

Lynn, what did you use to clean/polish your new Featherweight? I have one in serious need of some sprucing up.  I also want to polish the wood case.  What would you recommend?  Thanks!

Sue in IL

latterberry

Aug-22

https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/tagged/cosmetic

I ordered the cleaning products on this page from this shop and was very pleased.  I've gotten belts and other things too.  Good service.  Scroll around and there is a good video on cleaning.  Just a warning though--if the clear coat is compromised, it won't get all nice and shiny like you would expect. That would be a major overhaul to take care of.  As for the wood--I imagine anything you would polish your furniture with.  You will have to show a photo when  you can.

Or--some just clean and polish with sewing machine oil

sueinIL

Aug-22

Wow!  There's a lot of information there!  I think I'll just dry polish it first and see where it's just dusty or truly worn. I had no idea decals were available, and I never thought of using shoe polish on the case! My first FW, a gift from DD1, was in pristine condition.  Didn't need anything done.  This new one is in a little rougher shape, so I'm going to clean up the outside and then look at the inside.

Thank you for the video link, too.

Sue in IL