Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New Featherweight in "coffin" case   General Discussion

Started Aug-10 by sueinIL; 390 views.
sueinIL

Aug-10

Well, I had hoped to have pictures to post of my new machine, a birthday gift from DD1.  For some reason my computer will not import photos I just took this morning.  I can see them, but as soon as I want to select it, it goes away.  So I'll resort to asking  questions.  First, Inside the wood case is a tool shaped like a question mark without the period.  It's flat, black, and has an open tube  at one end.  What is this implement?

Second, there are wires that lead to the light bulb,which needs to be replaced, but I have one that might work. I don't see any power cord to a foot pedal.  Does this mean it hasn't been "modernized"?  The number on the plate indicates a 1928 date.  Is this machine going to work as is?

Thanks for your help.  I'll probably have more questions, since this machine didn't come with a manual.

Sue in IL

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-10

hum...sounds like its not a Featherweight...could it be the 'other Featherweight'  - a Singer 99?

Tool probably is the 'knee controller'...check the case on the front and see if there is a metal ringed hole near the right side that you can stick the tube end of the tool into...by the by..that tool is MISSING in a lot of 99's so you got a super deal since its there....

Samsmom94

Aug-10

I think Suze is right, you've probably got a 99 in a bentwood case. A coffin top is a cover for a treadle machine that doesn't fold down into the cabinet.

Cari

sueinIL

Aug-10

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I learned so much from your post!  Now I can probably find a manual online and maybe even a youtube video.  What a day brightener--I was really frustrated this morning.

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Aug-10

Thank you! I can do some online searching with the correct subject!  This really makes a difference!

Sue in IL

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-10

I love my 99...I converted it to hand crank since I could not find a knee controller.

The Singer 99/66 models make THE best stitches... Bobbins and needles are the same for both...

There are groups on FB for Vintage Singers that can help you out with anything you need for your new beauty!

sueinIL

Aug-10

Thanks, Suze.  There are some bobbins that came with it, so I'll try winding one.  I'll look up a "support group" on FB.

Sue in IL

latterberry

Aug-10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOIcdzPJ1P8

Check this link out and see if this is what you have.  I have the same thing and love mine.  When you mentioned coffin case earlier, I couldn't imagine a Featherweight coming like that.  Also, the serial number on the FW is under the machine and you have to take the bottom plate off to find it.  Enjoy your new machine--they are sweet.

sueinIL

Aug-10

Lynne, yes I think it is. I want to do some serious cleaning and oiling before I use it.

I still want to find a manual. There are some downloadable online, and there's even a youtube video page-by- page  of it.

I sent my daughter all the new information I got today.  She'll be surprised it isn't what she was told on FB Market--it's even better!

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-11

A lot of folks call the 3/4 size 99 a Featherweight...but its certainly NOT 12 pounds! 

They are great machines though...