Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

If I'm going to use Best Press...   General Discussion

Started Sep-2 by sueinIL; 217 views.
sueinIL

Sep-2

If I'm going to use Best Press, should I NOT use my wool pressing mat?  Just wondering if it would "corrupt" the wool surface.

Sue in IL

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-3

ooh...don't know the answer to that...I would be interested to know if it would damage the wool mat too....

I found this information online from a store that sells New Zealand wool mats. I probably read the instructions on my package,  but didn't remember what it said.

Use and Care Instructions

You can use any setting on your iron including the wool setting when ironing. We do not recommend using starch however alternatives such as Best Press can be used.

Your mat can be placed on any surface for ironing. However, we do not recommend using steam when ironing as wool is a porous material so heavy steam might go through. For best results use a dry iron. Do not put your wool mat on top of a cutting mat due to the extreme sensitivity cutting mats have to heat.

If it is necessary to clean your wool mat, you can rinse the mat out in your sink or bathtub with cold water and then hang it up to dry. A gentle rinse should do the trick. Be careful not to rough up the material.

sueinIL

Sep-4

Thank you for sending that site, Mary.  Most of the advice I already adhere to, but didn't know that Best Press is OK, but not other starch.  Wonder how they are different.  Thanks!

Sue in IL

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-4

I think Best Press is synthetic...the others are organic and might react to the organic properties of the wool?? anyway...its good to know Best Press can be used!!