Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Washing machines   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Sep-2 by bornblesse2; 595 views.
bornblesse2

Sep-2

Anybody have a top loading non-agitator machine that they like?

we are checking out new machines and keep getting mixed reviews.  We don’t want a front loader, they seem to need a door left open to dry out.  We can’t have that in our space with so many doors.

we are looking at a Maytag, but getting so many mixed reviews we are not sure what to think.  Complains of not enough water, sensor not great, etc.   but when we check reviews of Whirlpool and others  we see sme of the same.

just wondering what some of my friends have?  Likes?  Dislikes?

Midkid5

Sep-2

Ellen, I have a speed queen but it has an agitator.  My DD has a non agitator top load sorry I don't remember the brand, she does not like it.  I have used it when watching the kids and do not like it either.  On numerous occasions when washing bedding it comes out dry. After some trials she learned not to use any of the other settings than the regular cycle, certain things she will wash at my house.

Jo

I have a Maytag that I bought at Lowe's a few years ago.  It does have an agitator.  It was an adjustment getting used to the way it senses the amount and weight of the items and fills accordingly.  I was used to having a big tub that I could fill to the top (but it was 30 years ago when I bought that one; there's no such thing today unless it's a "vintage" machine).  I finally got used to it, but it still is weird how it starts and stops agitating during the cycle.  When *I* want to decide how much wash water I want, I just set the machine for "deep water wash" or I use the "bulky/sheets" setting instead of "normal."  (I almost always do large loads anyway.) 

The one thing I did not get that I now wish I had is a see-through washer lid.  When you start the wash cycle, it's not long before the lid locks and you cannot open it again to see what's going on in there.  You can only add items for a minute or so after the fill starts.  If you absolutely must open it again, you have to cancel the wash cycle and re-start it, which means it will drain and re-fill.  I think probably all washers have that lid-lock feature anymore.  I can live with that, but I would *really* like to have the see-through lid so that I can see what's going on in there.  It's not important to how well the washer is cleaning the clothes, but I just like it.  I used to like that I could lift up the lid at any time and look.  Silly, I know.  

I would definitely get one with an agitator, though.  Good luck!   

Mishii

Sep-2

Gah....wrote a really really long post and hit some stupid button and lost all of it.

Ellen, I am yelling from Texas about the top load HE washer......don't do it!!  Don't don't don't!  They are all awful.  

I purchased a top loader for the exact same reason you are thinking of it.  I had a Samsung.  It was terrible.  Clothes came out literally with dirt still on them.  Granted, we did live on a farm and Pita was a surveyor so there was a lot of dirt, but still.  I learned to wet a couple of pairs of jeans in the shower and put them in with the dirty loads to trick it into thinking of adding some water.  Those loads I had to wash 3 times.

I now have a front loader and it is much better.  Was very worried about having to leave the door open to prevent mold.  I live in a very humid area and it isn't a big deal at all.  You don't have to leave it open....just wipe the seal dry when you are finished.  At first we left it open over night to be sure (it blocks the laundry room door when open).  We figured out you really don't need to do that.  Just keep a kitchen towel on top, wipe is dry, move on.  I have an LG now.  Works well, but we don't have truly grimy clothes anymore.

It is nice to be able to put even the biggest quilt in there and not worry about it.

If I had my way and a lot of  money, I would have gone for a Speed Queen.

bornblesse2

Sep-2

From what we are reading, even the agitator ones have the water sensing feature.  The Store gal talking to us talked about there being ways to “hack” (lol, her word) the senser.

so, my research isn’t necessarily making an agitator Machine any better.   And we were told the newer machines are coming out all digital.   I don’t need all that! Sigh....

bornblesse2

Sep-2

One that we are looking at has that clear lid.  No matter what we buy, there will be an adjustment to using it.  None of the washers available will work like the old ones.

we were told about that cycle to use to get more water in the cycle.  Still researching, but thought I’d get responses!

CC (ccase5)

Sep-2

My son got us a GE Goo4. it took a bit of time for me to get used to it and our refrigerator noise too but I did. Now nothing bothers me. the washer is good. it does agitate but only a bit at a time. not swish,swish,swish but swish, then swish, then swish. delay in between. works well. i use tap water choice. bulky items when washing a quilt. the dryer is great too.
everything is water saving these days. serious enough for them to do it for us since we usually will not use less ourselves.
In reply toRe: msg 4
bornblesse2

Sep-2

Well Sharon,  I guess you weren’t pleased with your purchase!

we don’t have the dirty clothes that we used to. Thank goodness!   I have heard both good and bad about the front loaders, but I just can’t imagine that door working at all in the tiny space I have!  We already have a closet sized  space and two interior doors that swing into the space!  Lol, the designer of our house was definitely a MALE!  Lol....
I may have to check how wide a front loading door swings open, the space is only as wide enough to stand  in front of.  Getting machines in and out always give the guys moving them fits!  Lol.....

and hummmm.....can I train all my males to wipe down the seal?  They mostly do their own laundry!   

i already have a problem with the dryer door.  I can only have a door that opens to the one side - not with the hinge that flops downward.  
I will keep doing some research.

bornblesse2

Sep-2

Cc, is your machine the kind without the agitator?  I’m not sure we looked at the GE....maybe we did though.

Midkid5

Sep-2

I can set the water level on my speed queen, can lift the lid at any point, can stop it and restart it so the wash cycle will run again with the same wash water. 

Jo