Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

quilting patterns   General Discussion

Started Sep-14 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 462 views.

I tried to post this on the What are you working now thread, but it would not let me post.

As  you probably have seen me posting about all the t-shirt quilts I'm working on.  I desided to make myself do something different on the quilting for at least some of them.  

This first one is for a young lady who participates in special olympics.  Her mom picked out a fun fleece backing with rainbows, castles & unicorns.  I figured the flowers went along with the young girly theme.

This one is for the mom, made from her sorority shirts (she's still very active, doing lots of community service projects).  2 of the tops have rhinestones and another a very thick sparkly transfer that I didn't want to quilt through.  So I needed some kind of all over pattern that I could adjust to go around those obsticles without looking too much like I had missed sections.  This is what i came up with.  Works great with the green color too.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-14

Those look just fantastic, Dee!

I like your solution to the quilting area problems.

thanks.  it still looks a little odd, but I made the outlines kind of swirly as well, so it looks a bit more intentional.  kind of like a decoration around a picture frame.

I really like your Shirley design.  That is also a great looking t-shurt quilt. I love the fushia, green, black color theme.

judyinohio

Sep-14

I certainly like how your clever brain works, Dee.

And I love how  you are willing to share how your brain works, too. Hope some of your ideas stick in my brain once I get back to working with Lily Aurora.

Mishii

Sep-14

That looks fantastic.  Great quilting pattern too!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Sep-14

Nice job.  I'm sure they will be enjoyed by both of them.

In reply toRe: msg 7

Thanks guys. Several times I have tried something else and regretted it, thats a large amount of quilting if it is not fun. So I have tended to be lazy just to get through it. This time it worked out well.

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-15

very nice!  I like that swirly design...

someday I have to do my daughter's cheer t-shirts.....and my son's Boy Scout shirts...(but I would have to FIND the shirts first - they are somewhere in one of two rooms). My daughter's - I have the whole shirts (and a pair of shorts)...my son's - he whacked them into just the designs so I hope there is enough there to work right!

well, you can always add some cotton fabric, even doing it kind of like a crazy quilt.  I sometimes have to add fabric, especially if there are a mix of children & adult shirts.  I kind of hide mine by using sashing fabric but you can do contrast too.

I've also started using pieces of other shirts too, just to squeeze in extra pieces without making the quilt larger.  this square is made up of the back of one shirt, the front of another and the pocket of a 3rd.  One of the reasons I like the SF101 interfacing so much is it has enough body so that you can press the t-shirt seams open.

I made a quilt once from a deseased parent's shirts but only 4 of them had designs.  So I used the fabric from the others for the rest of the quilt.  Had to press all the seams open with TONS of steam but it worked fine.