Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What to do with two charm packs   General Discussion

Started Sep-23 by sueinIL; 559 views.
sueinIL

Sep-23

I have two charm packs of nice winterish fabric, Sweet Holly by Kansas Troubles.  I'd like to make a small winter (not Christmas) quilt for DD and family.  Do you have a go-to pattern you use when you have 5" pre-cuts?  I think they are new enough (a Missouri Star deal of the day)  that I can still buy some of the yardage or find blenders if needed.  I've been looking on pinterest, and there are some cute ones, but I like recommendations!  Thanks,

Sue in IL

CC (ccase5)

Sep-27

For inspiration, you might look in Missouri Star quilts for charm quilt patterns. I've tried to think of a pattern to no avail so far. Good luck.
sueinIL

Sep-27

Thanks!  Since I bought the packs from them, they might have patterns to go with. I'm thinking something with stars made of squares and flying geese.  We'll see.

Sue in IL

Maybe the pattern where you add corners to your sashing strips to make the cornerstone look like a star? (tried to find a picture but no luck so far) It'd be a fun one for a not Christmas quilt :)

sueinIL

Sep-28

I know the design you mean.  I think I'm leaning toward a quilt that has 5-6 stars scattered over the top, which is all 5" squares.  If I get something light and maybe has a little sparkle I would use it for the stars.  Have to also throw in some solids/tonals to give me the number of squares I need.  Thanks for your suggestion!  I think the stars would work very well at the ends of borders.

Sue in IL

oops! Pressed "send" much later than I started. :) 

sueinIL

Sep-29

Thank you for these sites! I think I'm going to use a "whole quilt" design rather than separate blocks. I really like the ideas in the first site.

Sue in IL

tuckyquilter

Oct-3

Buy a Cupcake Recipe of a pattern you like.  They are all done using Charms, and are paper pieced.  The Cake Recipes use 10" size.

I have a couple of those Cupcake thingies and make copies from thin paper so I can make more blocks.  Plus, I can keep it all in one big baggie, or bin, and all is well