Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Amazing fabric artist   General Discussion

Started Sep-30 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 216 views.

I have been watching a lot of videos about boro and sashiko stitching and kawandi and kantha textile creations.  I came upon the videos by this amazing artist and designer, Mutsu, whose company is called "Prospective Flow."  (There are MANY videos on YouTube and he also has an Instagram page, in addition to all of his creations shown on the Prospective Flow website.)  He designs and creates free-style garments using recycled items and other textiles, distressing the fabrics at will.  His designs have a distinctive, recognizable "look."  He also does commissioned items for specific customers.  While not all of his creations are to my taste, the things he creates are amazing - AND they sell for hundreds and thousands of dollars.  I love to watch his YouTube videos and observe how he works.  It makes me think I could try something like that too, but of course on a MUCH smaller scale.

Before every project he designs, he creates an ink and watercolor picture of the item - if it is a garment, he shows front and back of the design.

This video is part 1 (of 4 parts, from design drawing to garment completion), showing the drawing and painting part.  This is for "Reflow No. 18" - a boro kimono.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ8-Xo_7Phc 

Parts 2, 3 and 4 show the actual cutting and sewing of the boro kimono.  I find it oddly satisfying and calming - kind of a Zen experience.  I love his precision cutting and stitching, his great long tailoring shears, his fabulous steam pressing system, and most of all, that JAPSEWS industrial sewing machine of his that does the reinforcing sashiko-like stitching.  I would LOVE to have one of those! But most of all, I love to watch his hand sewing.  He does not use a lot of different kinds of threads and stitches, and I have only ever seen him use white thread or black thread, but his stitching is impeccable, and his applique stitching is unique - the stitches meant to be seen, as it is always part of the design as well as the construction.  His patience is incredible too.  

I know this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find it fascinating, and I want to try something like this someday - or apply some of his techniques to other fabrics.

For one of his more traditional-looking creations, see the videos about the more feminine-looking Boro Flower Tote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk7IEXQYtD8 

I hope you will enjoy watching this as much as I did.   

CC (ccase5)

Sep-30

Wow, that was beautiful. You can tell an artist by their hands and he has lovely hands. I couldn't even see the pen move up and down when he was doing the dashes or stitching lines until I look further up the shaft of the pen. I love artists!! thanks.

interesting.  thanks for sharing.  

i'm curious how you found this.  I know there is a lot of cool stuff on youtube but I seem to have trouble locating things.  

I am always looking for well-produced YouTube videos.  Some of them are very frustrating and even disappointing.  I am always looking for that next great video down the road.    

I was watching a lot of other videos about boro and sashiko and visible mending, and one of his videos eventually popped up, and I went down the rabbit hole.  I would love to have one of those JAPSEWS industrial machines that does the stitch that looks like hand-sewn sashiko points.  I imagine the stitch is similar to the Babylock Sashiko machine, and the price may be about the same.  And therein lies the problem.  Hah!  The Babylock is more widely available, but that JAPSEW industrial is so cool.  

The reason you have trouble locating things on YouTube is likely because you spend your time actually sewing and making things and completing projects, while I just keep watching videos.  LOL 

Some of his videos are rather long and some are in multiple parts, but I usually watch them at night before I go to sleep.  I find them kind of relaxing.  The very light music they have in the background does not add any noise.  All you hear are those LONG shears cutting the fabric, and the steam iron hissing, and his needle and thread popping and gliding through the fabric.  Zen! 

You should see the 3-part video about how he deconstructs, repairs, and re-assembles a pair of "vintage" jeans, from belt loops to hems.  And he does ALL the stitching by hand, with that thick white (or off-white) thread.   I don't really know WHY he did that - maybe just to show that he could.  This is Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2T30A-mn3E    

lppenguins

Sep-30

Wow very cool. Thanks for sharing.