Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

thoughts on how to finish this forever project   General Discussion

Started Oct-1 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 188 views.

Since I only have about an hour's worth of work on one last fleur de lis, I need to be thinking about how to finish. 

It is intended to go on this  round table coffee table

near this wall quilt. 

Initially the room had dark purple/brown leather sofas.  But we sold those and are getting a light blue sectional and blue striped chairs.  hmmm, so I'm thinking I want to finish this with some of the blues & beige from the wall quilt, to make it less PURPLE.  But how/what?  Any suggestions?

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Oct-1

That's beautiful.  No much help on finishing.  I could see using beige but it would be tricky adding blue.  Good Luck. I'm sure someone will have some ideas.

You can always add a color with thread when you quilt it. Sure is pretty!

LindaPutt

Oct-1

They're both so, so pretty. 

Just one idea - since your wall quilt has circle shapes, and you like to applique, you could cut the new one close to the edges into a circle shape to mimic the wall quilt (leaving enough fabric to turn under), then use the blue & beige colors that are on the wall quilt, and appliqueing the new circle onto them.  In doing that it seems to me that the purple would mostly fade into the background.  Do you still have some of the what looks like greyish blue that you used for the wall quilt?  If so, you could use that as your final background color or one that is similar to it.

Anything you do will be lovely, I'm sure.  I can't wait to see what you decide to do.

that wall quilt was a kit that I bought just because I liked the batiks, then ended up making the kit.  I had so much fabric left over I made another complete quilt, plus this one.  And I still have more, lots of the lighter colors and some bits of the blue.  I need to go looking. 

I keep looking at the wall tho and thinking about the new sofa (that doesn't arrive until Thanksgiving).  I'm really worried about the chairs not looking good even with the wall quilt (DH just really liked the fabric and I caved - see the pillow below - more blue than in the picture).  I think I am going to have to wait until they arrive.  I may be moving that wall quilt to another room any way.  then this one may be come a wall quilt.

LindaPutt

Oct-1

What a nice look. 

It's probably a good idea to wait and decide which quilt will go in there after the furniture arrives.  Lighting can even make a difference.

• Edited October 1, 2020 6:20 pm  by  LindaPutt