Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Clutter   Off-Topic Chat

Started Oct-17 by judyinohio; 1960 views.
judyinohio

Oct-17

Even though I have given up my polymer clay hobby (and donated all my claying supplies to an education program at a nearby state women's prison) I have kept a subscription to a wonderful blog on creating with clay that offers great ideas on using color, etc.

Occasionally there are witty bits of wisdom that make me smile. This one gave me the urge to share it with the quilting world.

CC (ccase5)

Oct-18

OH have I got a lot of those!!!!
I am now finishing up my quilt tops i made years ago. so less clutter there!! and charity gets things from my closet. new bedspread too since i just bought a purple one! well that was a replacement really so may not count!
Judy (DJZMOM)

Oct-19

That is certainly an interesting saying!  I'll have to think a bit about that but my first thought is it is likely very true.  

What I really wanted to comment on is I didn't know you have given up your lovely clay work.  I'm glad you found a wonderful place to contribute all of your tools and supplies to but I'm a bit sad for you.  You seemed to really have fun experimenting with new ideas.  Are you back to fiber work or sewing or something else altogether?  Just curious...  and of course it's none of my business so you don't have to answer!

latterberry

Oct-19

Hmmm... I do seem to have a tendency to postpone decisions.   

judyinohio

Oct-19

Working with polymer clay was certainly a lot of fun at first.

I was excited to learn new techniques and "broaden my horizons" as the saying goes; I was like a kid in a new sandbox because there was so much to learn and play with. I absolutely adored working with an extruder and the surprises I could create with different color combinations.

But health problems made it difficult to stand for long periods of time cranking out sheets of clay and cranking away at the extruder.  DH finally pointed out that I was avoiding the claying table and asked about what was wrong. I told him that it had become drudgery, not fun and so after four years it was time to find a new home for the clay supplies.

Internationally known artist, author and teacher Cynthia Tinapple runs a claying program at the Ohio Reformatory for Women (located about an hour from my home) which of course has been put on limited basis during the pandemic. (Inmates are teaching inmates right now.) Inmates there are taught to make beads which are then made into necklaces and bracelets which are sold in the prison gift shop to visitors, employees, etc. Cynthia says that the inmates tell her that creating small beads and making necklaces bring them so much happiness that they forget that they are locked up for a few hours.

When I wrote to her (including photos) and told her about what I wanted to donate she insisted that I had to wait a month before she would come to my house and collect my "goodies".  She wanted to give me time to change my mind. (Bless her heart, she didn't realize how stubborn I am.  LOL)  Anyhow, she showed up a month later and as she packed the back of her SUV to the max with my goodies she was chatting the whole time about some of the women she has worked with.

She brought me a bracelet made by a lifer named Megan Goff and told me her very sad story. (You can read about this woman by Googling Megan Goff Ohio murder trial because it's public record.)  I was very pleased to learn that my donation to the prison program will be helping people like Megan find some form of happiness in their lives behind bars.

I'm now in the process of recovering from a pacemaker/defibrillator implant.  Left arm is not allowed to do any heavy lifting so I'm avoiding my longarm for now and concentrating on 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles. wink 

Eventually I  have two tops to quilt on Lily Aurora and then we will see what quilting lies in my future .....

Judy what a nice thing to donate your clay supplies where they will bring so much joy to those that likely have very little joy.

Hopefully you recover well from your implant.

judyinohio

Oct-19

Thanks, Ami. 

I am thinking it might be a long time before I get used to having a hockey puck buried in the muscle under my collar bone. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes 

sueinIL

Oct-19

DH has had one for 9 years.  Well, actually two, since the first one got to the end of its battery life and a new one was implanted.  DH also has a bedside "reader," which, once a month, sends out a strip of information to his cardiologist 50 miles away.  He never feels when it records. The defibrillator has never gone into action, but just having it cost DH his beloved retirement job as a school bus driver. But both of us know it will be there if needed. I hope your "ownership" is just as uneventful, and you will be back to quilting in no time!

Sue in IL

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Oct-19

I'm sad to learn you've stopped the clay work, Judy, but totally understand why.  It's so very good of you to find a "worthy" place for your supplies to land.

I was always going to treasure the scissor fob you made from a metal bobbin (with little clay bits baked on), but now I'll be treasuring it all the more knowing its rarity.  Thank you again for that precious gift.

I'm glad you're still with us!  Pacemakers are IMPORTANT!  5dogdad's brother has one, and it is a blessing.  I hope yours helps you get back to your "ornery" self.  LOL!  Don't you still have a purple quilt to finish?  Ducking and running!

Cris in MT