Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Clutter   Off-Topic Chat

Started Oct-17 by judyinohio; 2322 views.
CC (ccase5)

Oct-27

Four years is a good amount of time to do all the wonders you did with clay. You did such interesting and beautiful works.
Glad you are over getting your pacemaker. it will take a bit of time to get used to, if one ever really does. I watched a film once where i worked from patients with pacemakers. one said the thing went off in an elevator and he hit the back wall and went onto the floor of the elevator. But it worked! he walked out of that elevator all on his own. he was very happy about that. So it's all in the view of the "beholder" I guess. Hugs to you!!
judyinohio

Oct-27

Thanks for the "hugs" and the tale about the guy in the elevator.

It is four weeks today since my implant and the swelling has gone down as well as the dramatic bruising. The area no longer feels so warm and tender and so I guess my upper chest is going to settle down and stop being so dramatic about this "invader" lurking under my skin. Car's seat belt is a nuisance but the trip to the grocery store is short.

I suspect that I will always be aware of this gadget but I am grateful for feeling stronger ...

CC (ccase5)

Oct-28

Don't fret over the implant though. Usually you won't know it is there. Once you get used to it of course. The things we must do sometimes boggle the mind. I'm glad you got it done though. Many more things are on your list to do. So start thinking of those.
I just ordered four more books to read. (one of my things!) :)
3carats (MaryDinFL)

Oct-28

Judy, Google this "seat belt pad for pacemaker". They are furry and fluffy and some come with a gel inside. They relieve the pressure of the belt.

I'm glad to hear you are on the mend. My DH, Fred's, kidneys are only operating at 15% and he will have to go on dialysis soon. He is also having some chest pain now and then.

I have been making tops for Quilts of Valor. I have done four and work on others on a monthly sew day. Fred saw one I made that he really likes  but doesn't want to go the the award ceremony to receive it so I am making one just like it for him. He will be 91 Christmas Eve.

Stay safe and Stay Well

MARY D

My younger sister had heart surgery to replace a major valve.  She had always had a heart murmur and had been aware of it since early childhood, but it never became a problem until she got older.  Unfortunately, she had to have the surgery done while her husband was in his very last days of hospice care, because the doctor insisted.  So, she did that and was able to be discharged before he died a few days later.  But what a time to have to have major surgery!  She did the cardiac rehab a few weeks later.

Anyway, the point of my story is that she said for a long time after the surgery, when it was quiet she could actually hear the very faint "click" sound of the valve and the "swish" of the blood flowing through.  She eventually reached the point that she was not aware of it all the time, but it took a while.  She's one of the busiest people I know - not a quilter, but she's always up doing something - cleaning, gardening, canning, camping, running an Italian Ice vending business and traveling all the time.  My BIL retired a few months back, so now she is busier than ever, and he's the same way.  She tires me out.  But anyway, she eventually reached a point where she is mostly unaware of the "click and swish."  Except that she has to take blood thinners and get blood tests on a regular basis, and there are certain things she can't eat.  Other than that, you'd never know she was a heart patient.  She tires me out!  (And she's not THAT much younger than I am - hah!) 

judyinohio

Oct-28

Ah, Mary, you are a sweetheart for suggesting the seat belt pad because I found a highly rated wooly one and just ordered it from good ol' Amazon so it will be here soon. (Had a nice choice of colors, too, so I'm color-coordinated with my dear ol' Ford Explorer.

It is very sad to read about your Fred's kidney failure. I see some of those men in the waiting room when I go for my twice yearly visits with my nephrologist and they seem like a sad bunch of patients.

This episode of heart failure made my kidney failure numbers worse for a while but I am hoping that the kidney numbers improve with the pacemaker doing a good job.

judyinohio

Oct-28

So far no one has said anything about my mitral valve prolapse that I've had since childhood. I guess it is still a minor problem.

I am not going to ask.  smirk

GingerbreadG

Oct-30

Hi Judy!

I'm sorry you've been through so much lately.  I'm not surprised that your loss of enjoyment with the polymer things turned into a wonderful gain for some less fortunate woman.  You are a very  kind and generous woman. 

I'm glad you got the pacer/defib. before you had a much larger problem.  They do become "normal" feeling after a bit.  Just do as they say for now and go slow. 

I'll keep you in my prayers!

Gail

judyinohio

Oct-30

Thank you very much for your good wishes, Gail.

I have marked a date on my calendar, Gail, the date that I can resume shopping with a large grocery cart. 

Six weeks post-procedure (November 12th) I can lift 25 pounds with the left arm and so I will assume that means I can push a regular grocery cart again. Watch me shop for a fresh turkey! (DH and I use a small turkey so that will be no problem!)

Life will seem almost normal again.

GingerbreadG

Oct-31

Good morning Judy!

It's important to have something to look forward to!  Even if it is grocery shopping!!  When my kids were little...6, 4, 2 & 2 I used to ENJOY grocery shopping!  I'd leave the kids with my husband and wander...SLOWLY thru the aisles!!   I'm wishing for those days again.  I haven't been out shopping since covid=19 hit.  My Mom is too fragile....couldn't risk it.  My husband actually thought that would save us money!!  Silly man...not with online shopping!  HAHA!  Here's to praying for some sense of normal soon!

TTFN!

Gail