Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What would you use to add sparkle?   General Discussion

Started Oct-28 by sueinIL; 360 views.
sueinIL

Oct-28

I have some fabric that would work really well in a Christmas quilt, but it needs just a little sparkle.  I'd like to just put a dot of gold metallic in the center of some little flowers.  I bought a Sharpie gold pen, but it turns out to be oil-based and just makes a splotch on fabric.  I tried some metallic gel pens I had, but they don't show up well enough.  What can I use for just a little glint of gold?

Sue in IL

sew on a little gold seed bead.

judyinohio

Oct-28

Go to Hobby Lobby and you will be amazed at the tiny things you can stitch on a quilt that will add a little bit of sparkle. 

Dee's idea of gold beads is a great idea to get you started .... but don't limit yourself to gold. Think crystals, too.

In reply toRe: msg 4
sueinIL

Oct-28

Thanks, Judy and Dee!  I had not thought of a bead, but I have plenty of them to use.  Like you, Judy, I went through a phase of non-quilting to try out another craft.  Turns out, jewelry making is just as expensive to start into as quilting is (or can be).  I really "bought" in to it--LOL.  Thanks for the suggestion!   And, JDO, I think that's what I thought I was buying at MIchaels, but I should have read the label more closely.  I'm glad I was testing it out on some scrap fabric, because the oil made a very large circle. Turns out, it was for glass or wood!  

Sue in IL

Suze (casuzenn)

Oct-28

Lumiere gold paint for fabric...

In reply toRe: msg 3
sueinIL

Oct-29

Well, I went to Joann 's today and bought some glitter glue, a tiny bottle of gold paint, a Sharpie pen, and a brush with about 3 hairs. Something will work! Thanks for all suggestions!

Sue in IL