Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

quilting ideas needed   General Discussion

Started Oct-30 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 341 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-30

I am (finally) quilting a 2018 top.  The blocks are BIG, like 15" (if I'm remembering correctly).  They are a star, set in a circle.  Thinking of quilting designs is one of the hardest things for me.  Soooo ... if any of you are up for a creative challenge, I would appreciate it if you would take a look at the block below and see what quilting designs you can devise for it.  You can download the picture to work on it.

I've thought of a design for one star.  Hooray!   I could take the easy way out and use this one design on ALL the star blocks.  That would probably look OK but I'm also thinking that having a few different quilting designs would have a better visual impact.  

I brought the picture in my graphics editor (Photoshop Elements) and doodled around.  I also printed out the block at 8" square (because I can't print any bigger on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper).  I'll put the print out under a sheet of clear plastic and use a dry erase marker to doodle on the plastic.  When I have a design that looks interesting, I'll take a picture of it then erase the markings so I can use the clear plastic overlay again.

I also have a problem with thinking of different designs, once I've already done one ... somehow I can't quite seem to get out of the box I've drawn. :-/   Which is where you, with your different imaginations come in!  If you'd care to doodle a quilting design, I'd love to see what you come up with.

I'm pretty good with quilting "advanced" designs .. like feathers.  I use templates to produce consistent curves & designs.  I don't mind SITD; in fact, this quilt is going to have TONS of it as there are appliqued vines around each of these star blocks.

The star is made up of 4 rounds; each round is a *different* shape.
The center of the star is 6 diamonds.  

The next round is a weird shape that I don't have a name for.
The next round is a kite
The last (outer) round is a .. umm... triangle with a curved outer edge.

Anyone up for something new to do?  :-)

Text me a few photos and I will call you later with some ideas. Do you have rulers?

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-30

**of course I have rulers!**  all different shapes and curves.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-30

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I will call you later with some ideas.

Don't call too early cuz I'm still asleep LOL!

I won't call till you send some photos. Yes I know not to call early. Figured this evening sometime. Just got home from the shop and quilting. Fixing lunch and then an afternoon hike.

I do have some ideas and inspiration. 

GingerbreadG

Oct-31

Sorry I can't help with the  quilting design part.  I just wanted to tell you the block is beautiful!  I can't wait to see how it goes together. Good luck!

TTFN!

Gail