Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Back in the Sewing Groove Again ...   General Discussion

Started Nov-5 by judyinohio; 1168 views.
judyinohio

Nov-5

It has literally been months and months (seven months to be exact) since I have sat down at Cecil Faye and done any work with her.

I thought to myself today it was good to hear her purring again and I happened to notice that there was a kitty cat fabric under her light so I just had to take a photo. I mean, how perfect ("purrfect") was that??

After a few days of  loopy long arm work with Lily Aurora I was able to get this "House Arrest" quilt stitched up with my usual "lazy daisies". Binding work will be a joy and my thumb will eventually recover with enough applications of Aspercreme so then I can get busy with string quilt I pieced during the early days of the Covid lock-down when I felt trapped in the house with my heart failure issues and other problems.

Heart is now fixed, stores are open to those of us masked up like banditos and some local restaurants are happy to feed us. What more can a girl ask for?

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-5

I'd be tempted to sew the other side of the binding with Cecil Faye instead of putting your thumb thru that agony...

Congrats on getting back in the saddle!

It's sure a different world out there these days...

love it.  another random bit of quilting fun, I have had 3 of the fabrics pictured in my stash previously.  One of them I made shorts for my now 29 yo daughter.

bornblesse2

Nov-5

Yea Judy, very nice!

judyinohio

Nov-5

I will be stitching the binding 100% on Cecil Faye.

The right thumb's misery was caused by the stop-start button on the longarm handle; there's no way to avoid using that button on that handle.

• Edited November 5, 2020 7:33 pm  by  judyinohio
judyinohio

Nov-5

My goal in making this quilt was to use only bright fabrics. I raided my stash plus my DD's stash as well. I'll post a photo when the quilt is finished.

Judy that is awesome that you finished quilting your quilt. It is always a bit tough to longarm when you have taken a long break......this I know well. Just don't over do on the binding process, just a reasonable section each day and it will get there. I have been doing a ton of longarming and now have a backlog of three quilts that need binding.....that is a first for me. I loaded up the hexi quilt Pirate inspired me to do last Summer so will start quilting that as soon as I figure out what I am going to do.

I've often wondered if there is another way that than stop start button.  maybe a foot pedal.  but then I'd fall over.  thought maybe having to press the button to make it go and hold down, then when you let go it stops.  Kind of like a lawn mower.  but I probably wouldn't like that either.  There are many times it doesn't stop as quickly as I want.  kind of like the needle down on my computerized machine, eventually you anticipate that one more stitch.  sorry, rambling.

judyinohio

Nov-5

I think my problem is just a matter of "wear and tear" on the digit, Dee.

Decades of transcribing my DH's dictation meant I hit the space bar on the typewriter about one gazillion times with my right thumb.

Then I would cook meals for the family using my right hand to peel potatoes, etc.

Then I would relax in the evenings by doing lots of needlepoint, counted cross-stitch or whatever, gripping a needle with my right hand and pinching that needle with my right thumb and forefinger.

Eventually carpal tunnel bit my wrist .... and I had the release surgery in 1992. That's when I took up quilting on Cecil Faye.

Years later I wound up getting steroid shots in the base of my right thumb but eventually I was told that I could not have any more of those. Now I just rub in Aspercreme   ....  and grumble to my friends on the quilting forum.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-5

I love you narrative and do look forward to seeing the final quilt in total!!

Well done!