Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

cutting hexagon - ruler thoughts?   General Discussion

Started Nov-11 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 494 views.

I am shortly going to start working on this quilt and was wondering about the best way to cut the hexagons.  Yes, I could use a cardboard template, but that's not very fun.  So I was thinking of purchasing a ruler - I haven't bought a new ruler in several years, was thinking I should support the economy - relaxed  Anyone have experience with hexagon rulers?  Connecting threads has this one on sale, Hex n More.

I have that ruler but have not used it yet. I also have a green hexi ruler that cuts about 4 sizes and used it to cut out the hexis for the hexi tree quilt I did for the retreat challenge s few years ago. It worked great and made very accurate blocks. I also used that ruler on my sheep quilt I made a few years ago, I used the largest size for that one.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-11

I have the Hex-n-More ruler also.  Its measurements are misleading.

When you do EPP, a pattern that calls for X" means that the length of the SIDE of the hexi is X".

That ruler does NOT follow that guideline.  It measures the hexies that it cuts from point to point.  This will give you very odd measurements for EPP.   

Now I know you're not doing EPP for your project but I thought I would point this out.  If you are going to use this Ruler with any pattern that specifically calls for it, then you'll be fine.  You'll also be fine if you use the ruler exclusively for your project, no matter that hexie size you use.  If a pattern calls for a 4" hexie (along the side) and you use Hex-n-More, there is NOT a true 4" hexie available.  Your hexies will be slightly larger or smaller ... but if you are sticking to using only the Hex-n-More ruler to cut hexies, you'll be fine.  Your final quilt just won't be size the pattern says it will be.

ah, that's a very good "point" (hahah).  The pattern mixes 9 patches with 1" squares, so each "side" of the hexagon has to be 3" finished.  I also might be fussy cutting the hexagons, so that lessens the usefulness as well.  Ok, probably won't order it, I'll just make a plastic template, there aren't all that many.  And I do have a 60 degree ruler for all the triangles.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-11

Dee, if you really want to try it, I'll mail you mine.  Needless to say, I don't use it but haven't actually gotten rid of it.  (Founding member of Clutter Anonymous)  :-)

No, please dont the shipping costs would probably be more than the ruler. Seems like mailing anything gets more and more expensive. Unless of course your name is Amazon. blush

I dont really need another ruler.....need, thats such a silly word.

tuckyquilter

Nov-12

I say find a friend with an Accu-Cutter machine.. or something of that sort. AND if necessary buy the die to cut the size you need for her.. LOL

keddykat75

Dec-4

For my EPP I have hexagon shaped templates that are basically rulers. Great for fussy cutting. You can order whatever size you want from www.paperpieces.com. You would need this one for attaching to 1 inch squares. https://www.paperpieces.com/1-Hexagons?quantity=1&custcol_product_type=7

the 1/4”windowed option

• Edited December 4, 2020 2:00 pm  by  keddykat75
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-4

For my EPP (specifically hexies), I don't bother to cut the **fabric** as a hexagon any longer.   That takes waaaay too much time and wastes fabric.  (Fussy cutting is a different topic and will necessarily waste fabric due to design placement.)

Personally, I don't care at all if the fabric on the back side (the seam allowance that is folded over the template) isn't precisely 1/4".  I don't care if the seam allowance fabric on the back side doesn't look like a pretty hexagon.  NO ONE is going to see the back of the hexies when you get it sandwiched and quilted.   

I decided a long time ago that i would simply cut my EPP hexie fabrics into the appropriate sized *square*.  Much, much easier to slice and dice squares, as opposed to hexagons.  It's true the back side of the hexie doesn't look at nice as when the fabric is also a hexagon, but I really don't care about that.   

For my 1" hexies, I cut a 2.5" square.   That means that a charm square will provide (4) pieces of fabric for my hexies with just 2 cuts.  Very convenient.  :-)   Since I don't hand-quilt, the extra fabric on the back doesn't bother me at all.  I will concede that if you are hand-quilting and do that lovely quilting 1/4" away from the seam line, the extra fabric on the back may very well be a hindrance ... and *that* would be a legitimate reason to cut the fabric into hexagons.

But for me, I'm all about the convenience .. and let's face it, I can be very lazy.  :-)

keddykat75

Dec-4

I figured if Dee is not doing EPP she would need the hexagons cut to size. I always do fussy cutting for my EPP I always cut to size too, but I do know for non Fussy cutting you can use a square.