Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UFOs, and *forgotten* UFOs - yikes!   General Discussion

Started Nov-12 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 2437 views.

I am pulling out ALL of my UFOs and ALL of my kits, separating them from my "regular" stash.  I am finding UFOs I forgot I had ever worked on, but I know I did.  Then there are those that I remember working on, but they haven't turned up out of the boxes yet.  OMG.  But I probably don't have as many UFOs as many others do.  I have found blocks from swaps I don't even remember doing, like a Christmas block swap from the about.com forum days, and don't even recognize the names on the stickers.  But I'm also finding a lot of blocks I know I was very excited about for a while, so I made a lot of them - specifically some D9Ps.  It won't take long to throw those together in a utility quilt.  

My goal is to pull out one UFO to finish each month.  I think that's a reasonable goal.  Now, kits and precuts -- I DO have a lot more of those, but I'm sure some of them will be forever projects.

I also had a few boxes marked "Backs," but not special 108" backs or anything -- just fabrics that I thought would be good for quilt backs, and that I had enough of to use them for that.  I think it's going to be very satisfying to see everything on shelves instead of boxes one of these days.  LOL       

judyinohio

Nov-12

Sounds like you are having a great reunion with long-long friends and distant relatives.

It must be fun to find all of these "treasures" that have been waiting to see the light of day again.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-12

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

I am pulling out ALL of my UFOs and ALL of my kits, separating them from my "regular" stash.  I am finding UFOs I forgot I had ever worked on, but I know I did.  ....  I have found blocks from swaps I don't even remember doing, like a Christmas block swap from the about.com forum days, and don't even recognize the names on the stickers.  ....My goal is to pull out one UFO to finish each month.  I think that's a reasonable goal. 

I hear ya on the mystery UFOs and swaps from forum people so long ago that I honestly don't even remember them.   

When I was consistently working on my UFOs, I didn't have a goal per se.    I pulled out a box, started pulling the UFOs and working on them.  When I finished one UFO, I grabbed the next one.  To my astonishment, there were some UFOs that I gave myself permission NOT to work on.  Maybe because I just didn't care for the fabric any longer (that got donated).  Maybe because I didn't like the UFO project (the fabric got put back into the general inventory).  But NOT working on UFOs that didn't make me happy took a huge weight off my shoulders.   Nope ... just because I started it does NOT mean that I now need to finish it.  I have too many other UFOs waiting in the wings!

I didn't have a schedule for working on them either.  I didn't want another way for me to feel guilty because I wasn't meeting some imaginary deadline.  The UFOs got worked on .. and finished ... when I got around to it.  Although, I *did* stick to working only one UFO at a time.

I did get great satisfaction from seeing that pile of UFOs in the boxes decrease over time.  :-)

LABFIEND

Nov-13

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

I am finding UFOs I forgot I had ever worked on, but I know I did. 

Whoo hoo, I know the feeling.  I still find blocks from the about swaps.  Right now, I am working on Niece's t shirt quilt, top done, loading it on the long arm today.  But I too am trying to put together UFO's and Ellen will get a box of tops when I fill the box.  Cindy (my cousin) did help a lot when she sorted a lot of the fabric into colors and themes, but I have a lor of sewing to do-LOL!!

I have ONE UFO that is now just a bunch of scraps that I have kept together, but the top will go to Ellen when it is finished.  Remember a couple of years ago, when almost everyone at the retreat was working on charity quilts for Ellen's kids?  By the end, there was still a LOT of fabric left, and several kits nobody had even started on yet.  And Ellen said if we wanted to, we could take some home to work on -- not for ourselves, but to be returned to her for the donation pile.  Well, that is what I have -- a giant ziploc bag of fabrics specifically for that, with some from my stash thrown in.  It's going to be a VERY bright, multi-colored quilt.  That's one of the first UFOs I will do. 

I am still looking for a specific UFO that I intended to make for my brother (who turned 76 in September).  There is some speculation that he is starting to have "memory problems," and we don't know if it is something that is getting worse, or if it's just normal for him and his age.  But I would like to get it done soon.  It's just a whole piece of fabric with a kind of "Christmas Carol" look to it, and I already have the backing and binding fabric.  Shouldn't take too long to just do some outline quilting and get it bound.  Hoping to have it done for him before Christmas.  But I have to FIND it first!   

CC (ccase5)

Nov-13

I've been trying to finish up things. i recently finished a strip block top (on a fabric foundation) into a quilt, from 2007!! no batting.
latterberry

Nov-14

You guys have given me the incentive to get to work on my UFO pile.  I don't really have any UFO blocks--just lots of finished tops waiting to be quilted.  I usually have 2 or 3 different quilts going at the same time to satisfy my ADD, but do get them completed into a top.  I figure that when it comes time for someone to have to clean out my sewing room, they can easily get the tops taken care of rather than look at a pile of partially finished blocks that they would have no idea what to do with.  These are all charity kid size or oversized lap quilts for the chemo center.  I just got a big roll of batting and pulled some fabrics for backing so I  better get to it.

I will be looking forward to photos of the finished quilts soon.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-14

latterberry said:

I figure that when it comes time for someone to have to clean out my sewing room, they can easily get the tops taken care of rather than look at a pile of partially finished blocks that they would have no idea what to do with. 

And *that* is precisely why I had started to concentrate on working through my boxes of UFOs.   Until I realized that my knowledge of our family history and photos was more critical than UFOs.  So, I switched my efforts to heritage photo scrapbooks.  I'm kinda/sorta seeing a dim light at the end of that tunnel.  The positive thing about the scrapbooks is that once I'm done with them, that's it!  I can distribute digital copies and move on to the next one.  At some point, I'll be done and then I can return to going full tilt at my quilting projects!  :-)