Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Was I Saving it For? (LOL Subject)   General Discussion

Started Nov-22 by judyinohio; 275 views.
judyinohio

Nov-22

Today I am laughing at myself and I'll encourage forum members to add to this topic because I suspect most of you can.

I'm slicing up fabric for two new foundation piecing projects that will require some shades of reds, pinks, oranges and then some beiges, creams and tans. I grabbed my small plastic bin of reds for starters and my AccuQuilt GO machine and started slicing away with reckless abandon.

One trimming from one fabric made me stop and giggle.

Do you think I have waited long enough to use this fabric?   (Yes, Delphi turned my photo sideways but you can still read the date clearly.)

I started my quilt making life in January, 1993.

I recall the trip to Columbus to a big-city quilt shop (which was conveniently located across Broad Street from DH's favorite woodworking store) where I first found the Patrick Lose line of fabrics. After I drooled heavily over those bolts I bought a pattern and some yardage and made a quilt for a friend.

This remnant  has sat in my sewing room since 1996 or 1997.

Do I win a rusty thimble for keeping that scrap for so long?

Anyone want to claim the rusty thimble award for an older remnant from a purchased fabric?

I probably have some fabric older than that, but I do not keep records, and most of the selvedges have been separated from the yardage, so I have no idea how old some stuff is.  Most of the older stuff came from my Mom's stash, from which I have culled out the lower-quality stuff and got rid of it long ago.  And really, most of the older stuff I have is scraps from clothes I made in the 70s, when I was making a lot of cotton tops and shorts.    

I DO have a small collection of older fabric - that is, older-looking fabric that kind of looks retro, although I do not know.  You can tell a difference between REAL retro fabric and retro designs on today's higher-quality fabric.  It is not really feed sacks, but older remnants and other scraps that I am saving to restore a couple of dirty old worn out quilts that I bought for cheap at a garage sale.  I do have a quilt my Grandma made for me that REALLY needs to be repaired and restored.  Not a fancy "heirloom" quilt by any means.  The batting has disintegrated, the binding has worn away, and several of the pieces are also threadbare.   And the fabrics in it are more 60s and 70s than anything else.  I just want to see if I can really do it -- and want to be able to leave it to my son and grandson in better shape than it is now.  I also want to know if I can really restore an old quilt to the satisfaction of others.  A couple of friends have asked me to restore their old family quilts, but I need to practice on mine and be able to show "before" and "after" photos they can see before they decide they want me to do it.  (They don't seem to be in a big rush anyway.  ha)      

Like Jonna I have scraps from clothes my sisters and I made in the 70's. I love going thru my scrap bins. They are an endless supply of makings for my quilts and memories of scraps from quilts I have made over the years. I started making quilts in 1984.

bornblesse2

Nov-22

Well Judy, that is just a fabric bit!  During the quarantine time I dug out a kit from maybe 12-15 years ago!  It was something that I admired, then one day it went on sale and I caved!

but I never even opened it.  The fabric had been folded so very long I had a heck of a time pressing out the wrinkles!  It is close to finishing, and I will post a picture soon.

judyinohio

Nov-22

Some of the fabrics I've been pressing today almost qualified as "permanent press" .... took lots of moisture and muscle to get the creases out.  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Nov-23

I know I have scraps from the 1980's.  I think most of my earlier fabrics are gone(one way or another).  I recently used a beautiful turquoise Moda Marble in my DGD's t-shirt quilt.  the last little bit of it ids in the scrappy binding.  It had a 1997 date on it.