Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

PSA: rotary cutters are SHARP   General Discussion

Started Dec-3 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 419 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-3

I belong to a FB group, "RV Quilters".   Daisy Ketter is a member of that group and recently had a bad accident with her rotary cutter.  She has given me permission to share her photos so that other quilters will have their consciousness raised (at least temporarily) on BEING CAREFUL with our tools.  They are *sharp*.  They can be dangerous.

Sooooo ... BE CAREFUL.   Be aware.  Focus on what you're doing when you're actively using the tools.  Don't get distracted.

WARNING:   there are 2 graphic photos following.  Scroll on by if you don't want to see them.

Ay ay ay ay ay!  

I recently started watching a YouTuber who had a similar experience earlier this year, and she described it in great detail in one of her videos (without photos, but with some vivid descriptions).  Later she briefly showed a glimpse of her almost fully recovered finger, which actually healed very well, but what a quilter's trauma - yikes!

Now going to order a pair of CHAIN MAIL cutting gloves.  Ack!  

viola (sissly4)

Dec-4

That is one reason why  I tried  to do all my cutting  at home .I cut my self one time cause the rotary slip over the ruler .  You got to paid attention when you are cutting.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-4

Luckily I gave avoided this scenario.   Also why when you set your rotary cutter down, you need to close it.  I admit that sometimes I forget to do that.  We all need a reminder sometimes.

judyinohio

Dec-4

And you never ever cut fabric when you are tired or in a hurry.

CC (ccase5)

Dec-4

Ouch! looks bad. two fingers... I cut my thumb long, long ago and was actually using one of those L shaped long guards you stick to your long ruler. but on wrong side one time. not on the edge of the ruler i was cutting with. sigh. live and learn. I had to use one of those little metal finger guards so i could type. Good luck and don't do that again!!!
Mishii

Dec-5

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

They are *sharp*

Ya know, if you wait months and months to change your rotary blade, you don't have this issue.  Of course your fabric looks like it was cut by a beaver, but we have to make choices.

In reply toRe: msg 7
bornblesse2

Dec-5

A beaver?   Lol,.... so funny.

In reply toRe: msg 7
tuckyquilter

Dec-20

Beaver.. way to funny.. but we all need a good laugh.  

I know when I'm using dull blades I tend to have more mistakes made.  and it can look like a beaver was helping.