Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quilting design for applique vine borders   General Discussion

Started Dec-7 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 1388 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-7

I love applique vines in borders.  But typically have a difficult time envisioning how to quilt around them.    In the Innova FB group I belong to, a member recently posted this photo of a quilt she's working on.  It is *amazing*.   I'm not sure that I would like quite that much quilting in the border because it would require that density of quilting in the interior to keep the quilt flat.   

But, lordy, lordy, it sure is pretty.

I love the double straight lines in the outer border.  I've been told that this specific design is called either piano keys or beadboard.  Alternatively, I have been told that SINGLE lines are piano keys and the double lines are beadboard, so take your pick.

Notice how she did some feathers on BOTH sides of the applique vine before she did the beadboard.  Very clever.

To do the double lines effectively, you really need to stitch an outline border around the applique.  That gives you a stopping point for the beadboard and a path to stitch along to the return line.  What you do is go from the raw edge straight up to the outline stitch, stitch along the outline stitch for a couple of stitches, then come straight back down to the raw edge.   Stitch along the raw edge for however you want the spacing between your lines to be, then repeat the process.

If you were doing single lines, you'd stitch from the raw edge straight up to the stopping point, then *without moving the needle sideways*, stitch straight back down the line you just stitched to the raw edge.  Yes, you want to be tracing the line you just did but if you are using a straight-edge ruler/template, just keep it in place and it shouldn't be difficult.  If you happen to go off the previously stitched line, no big deal ... no one is going to notice it once the quilt is laundered.  :-)   Then, stitch along the raw edge for however wide you want the spacing to be and repeat.

But, take a look at those feathers and scrolls and circles on the inside of the applique vine!  WOWSERS!   To me, that is such a visual delight!  Again, not entirely certain that I'd care to do *that* much quilting but I sure do love the look.  :-)

wowsers.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-7

What lovely quilting.  More dense than I would like it but I sure can admire it.

bornblesse2

Dec-7

Those are neat ideas to adapt and use in various ways!  I agree the leathers along the applique are very neat looking.  
and I have never seen or heard of breadboard quilting!  But I like it!  Thanks for sharing!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-7

bornblesse2 said:

I have never seen or heard of breadboard quilting!

<smile>   beadboard.   :-)   It's to emulate the look of paneling of walls from waist level to the floor.

What is Bedboard Paneling? | Definition of Bedboard Paneling

Wowsers is right! That's gorgeous!

CC (ccase5)

Dec-7

Ha! that is right. wondered there for a moment! I too love it but would pay to get it done. above my abilities.
bornblesse2

Dec-7

I’ve seen that before....but never translated the idea to quilting!  Thanks for sharing the ideas.

judyinohio

Dec-7

Beadboard has more uses than that, Pirate, but your photo is one excellent example.

You could also think of it as "corduroy gone wrong" .... LOL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-7

CC (ccase5) said:

I too love it but would pay to get it done. above my abilities.

Actually, this is one of the very simpler ones for longarm work.  All you need is a straight edge.

You start at the raw edge, using your straightedge template, stitch up to the top end of the area.  You can take a few stationary stitches there, just to kinda "lock" them in place.  Then using the straightedge template, you simply backtrack along the line you just stitched, back to the raw edge.  

That's it.  It is VERY easy to do.

Back along the selvage (raw edge), you advance/move however much you want and then repeat, repeat, repeat.

I'm sure you can find a video online on how to do this but if you can't find one and would like to see one in action, just let me know.  I'd be happy to video how I do it.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-7

judyinohio said:

Beadboard has more uses than that

oh?   would you happen to have samples of that to look at?  I'm only familiar with what I've shown.