Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Turkeys DO fly!   Off-Topic Chat

Started Dec-14 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 669 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-14

Cathy, I couldn't find the conversation we had about turkeys flying so here's a new one. :-)

Below is a ginormous picture of adult turkeys (probably toms), roosting in an oak tree across the creek from us.  That tree is probably 30-50' away and I haven't a clue how far up the turkeys are.  But, I've drawn red arrows to all the turkeys that I could see.  I might have missed some.  Now, Judy in Ohio said that she was unable to click on a photo that I had attached to get it to become larger but Dee found that if you hit CNTL and scroll, the picture will get bigger.  

And then, I was able to catch them as they did a running start and lift off.   That video is below also.  I'm hoping that the video will play! ... update: well, drats.  It seems I can't attach a video to this message.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-14

Cathy, did you change your email?  I sent the video to the email on the Retreat form but it bounced back.  :-(

That’s cool. Is there a turkey farm around there? Many many years ago my mom went somewhere and got a fresh Turkey, not too far from Martinez.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-15

Sandy in TX (Centergranny) said:

Is there a turkey farm around there?

Nope.  These are simply wild turkeys that live in the area.   They fly and walk all around, completely disregarding any cars on the road.  It really is quite amusing to see the suburban people absolutely STOP on the road so the turkeys can continue crossing it.

Yet, I know from personal experience that should you approach the turkeys, even slowly and cautiously, they will move out of your reach like Moses parting the Red Sea.  :-)

latterberry

Dec-15

We have lots of wild turkeys around us too. I did happen to see one fly by my window to the top of a very tall pine tree.  It amazes me how such an odd shaped chubby piece of poultry can fly so high.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-15

I can see the turkeys(thanks to your arrows).  I'm pretty much a city girl.  It's amazing they can get into the tree and pick a branch that will support them.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-15

email unchanged cacnurseatcoxdotnet.

judyinohio

Dec-15

Here's an interesting brief article on flying wild turkeys complete with close-up photo of bird in flight ...

http://www.friendsofkootenay.ca/blog/wild-turkey-flight

Midkid5

Dec-15

There is three separate flocks that wonder our small town and the country side around.  Tho the do good work of cleaning up spilled grain from the elevators and or trucks that decide to clean out hoppers there are to many.  Since hunting in town is not an opposition the city will contact Game Department to see about having some relocated.  

Turkeys are every where now, but when I was a kid I remember my parents getting a request from the Game Department to report sightings of a flock especially during the winter months.

Jo

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-15

Thanks for the link, Judy.  Very interesting.  Explained how the can do it quite well.