Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Interesting Book About Color   General Discussion

Started Dec-27 by judyinohio; 587 views.
judyinohio

Dec-27

A member of my family gave me a book for Christmas and I can hardy wait to dive into it (but I'm going to restrain myself until I have tidied up the house).

The book's title is The Secret Lives of Color.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Lives-Color-Kassia-Clair/dp/0143131141/####?Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=34&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=4&dchild=1&keywords=color&qid=1609080103&s=books&sr=1-1&unfiltered=1

It's going to be what I call "light reading" and I might flip from one color to another as it strikes my fancy. I've already read the short entry about "russet" (a favorite color of mine) and learned that in the olden days russet was for peasants (while scarlet was for nobility). The side margin of each page is printed with the color being described.

It is a really cool book IMHO. 

I might settle down and read it straight through from cover to cover but I have a hunch that at first I will flip around from color to color as the whim strikes me .. turquoise might be next.

bornblesse2

Dec-27

What a fun book!

for some reason it reminds me of The Book without Pictures.

a really, really funny book to read to children. The 

I ration I. Me could not resist that book!

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Dec-27

Before yahoo disbanded all its groups, we used to do color studies in a crazy quilting group.  Too bad we didn't have this book then.  I'm still going to get it for my own entertainment, though.  It looks like a keeper and I thank Judy for bringing it to my/our attention!

Cris in MT

Mishii

Dec-27

What a fun book!  I'm a bit tempted.

In reply toRe: msg 4
judyinohio

Dec-27

Buy it, you'll like it!!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-27

Sounds interesting.  I prefer russet to scarlet, too.  Guess I'm a peasant at heart.

Suze (casuzenn)

Dec-27

looks like it would be a fascinating read!

judyinohio

Dec-27

The thing that is most agreeable (in this stressful time) is that you can hop around the book from color to color. 

For example, you do not have to begin at the beginning and plow through the book, you can jump from the page (or pages) on scarlet to verdigris to saffron to whatever strikes your fancy. You can read until you get drowsy and fall asleep and you haven't "lost your place".  wink

Author's style is very chatty and she's the friendliest art teacher I ever had. She even made me curious enough to go to Google Images and look up a 15th century painting she wrote about so I could see the sleeves on some lady's robe. (She wrote that the husband looked like Vladimir Putin ... and he did!) This was on the page about "verdigris".

• Edited December 27, 2020 4:49 pm  by  judyinohio

ooooh, that definitely sounds fun.  I have ordred.  You should get a commission.

judyinohio

Dec-28

Just trying to maintain my reputation as an enabler. relaxed