Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

thinking of quilting an old tree skirt   General Discussion

Started Dec-30 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 310 views.

I've recently "redone" 2 other early quilts with good results.  Now I think I may try adding some quilting to my very 1st tree skirt, made 36 years ago when DH & I were 1st married - long before I was a quilter.  My daughter doesn't want me to get rid of the skirt which has been used as a table cloth on our round coffee table her entire life - she's very sentimental.  But it's soooo boring, no quilting at all, just rickrack around the edge, the fabric isn't even interesting.  I was thinking of adding some quilting.  I'll have to baste it to a temporary something to load it on my long arm.  Maybe quilt some holly leaves?

CC (ccase5)

Dec-30

Holly leaves sound wonderful. maybe gingerbread men (or women) around the edge.. all sort of thoughts going through my mind. I'm sure it will turn out very nicely and you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier!
judyinohio

Dec-30

Since I am the mother of a person who has a PhD in geometry my mind also works in geometric ideas. I looked at that table covering and got ideas that would not work on a longarm.  (So shoot me.)

Would it drive you crazy to start at the edge and spiral into a pizza-sized circle in the center? Do fancy work in the sections created.  (Think of a wonky flower created by spiral lines.)

Would you consider making concentric circles (bull's-eye) with circles six inches apart?  And then perhaps fill with fancy stuff between the rings?

Judy- ok this is coming from a non long arm quilter, but the idea of  the quilting from out side to inside with a spiral sounds awesome. 

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-31

Good idea!  You could use a thread that would also supply some interest.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-2

Even if only for DD I think quilting holly leaves and berries on it would be very special.  

Mishii

Jan-2

Judy (DJZMOM) said:

Even if only for DD I think quilting holly leaves and berries on it would be very special.  

With metallic thread to make it festive!