Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Learned a New Trick For Cutting Fabric Today   General Discussion

Started Jan-3 by judyinohio; 1340 views.
judyinohio

Jan-3

Guess I am living proof that you are never too old to try something new at the cutting table.

I was browsing the internet looking for new patterns to use up some jellyrolls I purchased in my reckless younger years. Mind you I have a bum left shoulder and arm due to an injury in August, 2018 and that arm is too short and weak now to hold an acrylic ruler for serious cutting work.

So I work very slowly these days. But I have those jelly rolls that I don't want to give to DD and Other Daughter just yet.

So I went browsing and I found myself at the website for Jordan Fabrics and my goodness I saw something that inspired me.  Look at this sideways photo and twist your head to the right and imagine how you would cut the edge of the project on the table to straighten it.  See that 3 pound weight holding down the end of the acrylic ruler?!

Donna Jordan uses a blue 5 pound weight but this gal has to use what she has available.

Just thought I would share this clever idea.

Yes, I saw them do that years ago and have been doing it ever since.  I have two sizes, and they really work great.  

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-3

Good idea.  That would prevent the wobble I sometimes get at the end of that 24" ruler!  I'll have to try it.

latterberry

Jan-4

Clever lady!  I'm glad you found something that works for you.  Now I need to go check out Jordan Fabric's site.  I also have several jelly rolls I bought in my reckless years.

YDritch

Jan-4

Judy:  I've been using a hand weight since I saw her video some time back (I might add that I certainly didn't use the weights for working out).  The weight is a major help when I cut.

Love Donna and her shop.  We visited there two years ago and she is a charming and very personable lady.

hum, interesting.  Seems like I heard someone mention that previously but had forgotten.  Thanks for the reminder, will have to try that.  I have a couple of those weights on Ranger's cat tree (so it doesn't wobble so much when he jumps on it)

judyinohio

Jan-4

Please put a paint can on Ranger's cat tree if you steal his weights!

I would hate to think of Ranger being surprised scream_cat because his tree is suddenly wobbly. pouting_cat

there is also a 30lb weight on each of them - I don't pick those up stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.  The tree on the tile especially will go sliding as he hits it at run frequently, mostly when I'm coming with the food dish.  He gets fed on the tree so that the doggies can't help themselves.

judyinohio

Jan-4

I have a mental picture of your cat sliding into "home base" at dinner time ....

Clever kitty has learned to survive in house with huge doggies with help of kind-hearted woman.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-4

That IS a great way to hold down the far end of the ruler!  Thanks for sharing.