Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quilting a bargello quilt   General Discussion

Started Jan-3 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 381 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-3

For all of you who struggle (as I do) to decide on what design to quilt, here's what a woman did for her bargello quilt.  I think it looks utterly fantastic and goes to show that you just don't need an intricate design to have the quilting be effective.

Now the only drawback that I can think of is that I would be unbearably bored doing all these parallel lines.  But then I get easily bored doing repetitious designs, so I know that's going to be something that I'll need to deal with. 

But the final result is really good.  Here is an example of quilting that perfectly compliments the pattern, doesn't detract from the colors and does the job that quilting is suppose to do!

This quilt was done by Birgit Heaney of the Facebook group "Quilting Space" and "Quilt Along with Pat Sloane"
No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-3

I can see how one would get bored with all the straight lines but it really adds something to this quilt without overwhelming it.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-3

Exactly.  And it's a design that anyone can do.  I bet a walking foot attachment would be a great help.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-3

I have not quilted the bargello I did at the retreat a few years ago.  I may look at it and see if this would work.  I didn't do the whole top, just a quarter plus.

Mishii

Jan-3

A walking foot and a case of Red Bull.

In reply toRe: msg 5
judyinohio

Jan-3

So that's how some of those modern quilters work on their super-densely quilted quilts with tons of what I call "pencil quilting".  (You know, the ones that look like boxes with pencils jammed next to each other ... )

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-4

Oh!  I do like that design.  I think I may get frustrated more than bored if I didn't hit the right spot going from corner to corner diagonally across each square.  It follows the design magnificently and really sets it off.  

Thanks for sharing.

In reply toRe: msg 5
LeeAnn (mom1me2)

Jan-4

I could do this like a champ... minus the Red Bull!!! 

LeeAnn (mom1me2)

Jan-4

LOVE this pattern but not sure I could ever accomplish one. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-4

If you believe you can't,  you certainly won't. 

It's just a matter of paying attention to what you're doing.