Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

While looking for quilting ideas - eye candy   Show and Tell

Started Jan-5 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 275 views.

https://threadworksfactory.com/

if you have some time to kill, an awful lot of pretties here.  I am inspired.  And discouraged.  Not sure which more.

judyinohio

Jan-5

Looked at some of her pretties and it was rather like looking at videos of a dazzling Olympic ice skater.

I can admire the person's talent and skill but I would never be discouraged because I know that I do not have the innate talent (or perhaps I should say personality) to try to achieve such artistry.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-5

Ya know, like JudyInOhio said, this is the stuff to be admired but not necessarily replicated.  Think of it has looking at the Mona Lisa.  After seeing that, you don't feel like rushing home and paint it, do you?

ON THE OTHER HAND, :-)  with those pictures in front me, I bet I *could* do that quilting.  I bet you could, too.  It's the THINKING of the designs that's incredibly difficult.  Once the design is drawn out, it can be used as inspiration.  Now, this isn't to say that our work would come out looking exactly like that, because this lady obviously had tons of skill .... but we *could* do it ... now that we've seen the ideas.  :-)

Now, do I WANT to do that much detailed work?  More than likely not.  That's just a whole lotta time spent on one quilt and I have tons of tops to get done.  :-)

judyinohio

Jan-5

There's also my attitude that I am very much against the type of quilting that is called "quilted to cardboard".

I did not make up that phrase; I read it long ago in a quilting magazine (perhaps Quilters Newsletter ) in an interview with Pepper Cory. The interview struck me very strongly because my DSIL had recently purchased her HandiQuilter and she was obsessed with overquilting, making quilts for her grandchildren that were so very stiff that they had no cuddle factor at all. My DSIL was making those quilts for children and babies that a person that could practically lean against a wall, quilts that had been "quilted to cardboard".

Since I had introduced DSIL to the idea of making quilts years ago I mentioned the idea that her quilts might be "a little bit stiff" and it went right over her head; she liked talking about how she could stand for hours at her HandiQuilter because it was so relaxing to just stitch and stitch and stitch. I rolled my eyes at DBIL and he just shrugged his shoulders.  DH scowled at me so I shut up.

Peace in the family was maintained and DSIL continues to make quilts that can be considered planks.

I was amazed at how much time she spends mapping out what she's going to quilt as well as marking the quilt.  Nope don't want to spend that much time quilting.  However I do like some of what she's done with feathers.  I spent last evening watching videos of how to do feathers.  I need to practice more, just so when I have a quilt to do I have more options - or as the HR folks say, more tools in my toolbox.