Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is there such a thing as a pretty gray quilt?   General Discussion

Started Jan-11 by KSCarolyn; 1058 views.
KSCarolyn

Jan-11

Is there such a thing as a pretty gray quilt?  One of my granddaughters loves gray and wants a gray quilt.    I have two jelly rolls of light gray to charcoal gray. I have looked and looked for a pattern but haven’t found anything I think is pretty or would work with jelly rolls.  Can anyone help me out with ideas?  You can see the colors: Here

Carolyn

judyinohio

Jan-11

The answer could be in the link you showed us. Use those grays with a razzle-dazzle white fabric, perhaps a solid Kona white that is so blindingly white that you need sunglasses to look at it.

I looked at my card of Moda Bella cottons and it did not have any glowing white like I was thinking of; their natural white and bleached white were too yellowish compared to the copy paper white I have in mind. 

There's gotta be something out there ...

I'd mix it with yellow and turquoise, or with pink or a clear, pretty purple...the fabric is nice if you spice it up! :P 

judyinohio

Jan-11

You could take the color suggestions from Mel and add them to this jelly roll pattern from Jordan Fabrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECUYdnNOIQ&t=627s

I think that if your granddaughter loves gray that you should keep gray as the dominant color (although I personally would find that very tedious to work with) but the sparkles of color that Mel suggested would be very pretty sprinkled in the pattern that Donna Jordan has designed.  She used three small squares of color spaced in her jelly roll race design....

There might be other jelly roll ideas on that Jordan Fabrics site that would tickle your fancy.

latterberry

Jan-12

I'm doing this one right now with my black and white scraps, but no reason you couldn't use grays.  And using batik scraps for the pop of color. No pattern--just helter skelter.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/438467713723415125/

judyinohio

Jan-12

That's very handsome, but I would also add very masculine-ish.  But in this day and age, that could be called old-fashioned thinking.

bornblesse2

Jan-12

I maybe need to do that jelly roll pattern with my scraps and 2 1/2” scrappy squares!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-12

I agree with Judy that if you want to keep it grey, w/o a pop of color, it needs the addition of a white white.  If you think she would be happy with a pop of color, let her choose.  I really like that pattern from Jordan fabrics also.

latterberry

Jan-12

Well, I have been making oversized lap quilts for the chemo center so I have been trying to do some that aren't all that girly.  

Mishii

Jan-12

I love grey.  I think any jelly roll friendly pattern will be lovely.  If she loves grey and wants a grey quilt, I personally wouldn't add a pop of color.

The beauty of all grey is that it is monochromatic and calming.

I would go to the Moda site and look at their jelly roll patterns.  It will be wonderful!

• Edited January 12, 2021 10:03 pm  by  Mishii