Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Would You Please Show Me Your Jelly Roll Quilt Tops (or Quilts)   General Discussion

Started Jan-12 by judyinohio; 591 views.
judyinohio

Jan-12

I am plugging along with my first Jelly Roll quilt project in years and I'm looking to do two more in an effort to clear out a projects basket. Would anyone care to share their Jelly Roll successes with me for inspiration? You have plenty of time to share ideas because I'm not being a speed demon on this quilt top.

I certainly do not want to repeat the pattern I am using on this Jelly Roll for the next two projects.  I'd like to liven up the tediousness of Jelly Rolling ... wink

There is no escaping the tediousness of stitching and pressing a jelly roll quilt.  You can't "liven it up" much.  Just suck it up and get it done.  Put on some good music or a podcast or audiobook and do it.  No sense qvetching about how tedious it is.  It is what it is.  And really, you should have realized that before you ever started one.  You are a person who is easily bored, so I could have predicted your attention span for a jelly roll quilt would be quite short.  You need to learn to just enjoy the "Zen" of stitching and pressing.  After all, you *did* say you are not in any hurry.  But there is no doubt about it, one doesn't usually make a JRQ because the process will be lively and creative; you make one so you can see the interesting end result, and use up a lot of strips very quickly.

But you have done two things that somewhat alleviate the boring part and make the design more interesting - making your strip joints 45-degree cuts, and inserting "spacers" between the strips.  I can't really tell from your photo, but it looks like you also cut the strips into somewhat random lengths.  That does help it not look like the "usual" jelly roll quilts where someone just starts sewing the strips together as they come off the roll.  One can do that to make a point about how fast a JRQ can be sewn up, but often the finished quilt has a less-than-desirable appearance.  So, it's good that you did that randomizing thing.  I have made some with random scrap noodles and joined them with 45-degree seams.  Others I made with 2.5 inch squares to separate the strips.  Both came out very nice.

I would show you photos of a couple of the JRQs I have done, where I have cut my strips in random lengths and joined them with smaller pieces in between, but they are in a box somewhere in my UFO area.  I'll show them later, probably long after you have finished all of yours.  I am excited to see how they (and yours) will turn out, with all the randomizing.  

The only other thing I would say is that, tedious as it will be, you should REALLY press each seam as it is sewn, and don't wait until you have stitched the whole quilt top to press.  It's MUCH easier to press that one eternally long seam, when it is easy to maneuver over the ironing board and there's only one seam to press.  After that, each subsequent seam is shorter to stitch and press.  But think about it -- by pressing that one longest seam first, you have at least half of the pressing already done, and each subsequent seam will take less time to sew and press.  Much easier than waiting till the end to press, and then trying to smooth out all those narrow rows with all those seams and press the whole top at once.  I don't know if I have adequately described what I am trying to say, but just trust me -- press each long seam as you go. 

And of course, all of this is JMO -- FWIW. 

It looks like you have a very nice JRQ in process.  The 45-degree joints add a lot of interest.  Just stop thinking about how boring it all is and find something to distract yourself - and get ON with it.  LOL   

judyinohio

Jan-12

I am pressing the long first seam, Jonna. Learned from my error with my first Jelly Roll project years ago to avoid that mistake.

The white plastic tool in the photo is a hera which I used decades ago while working with silk needlework (can't use a hot iron to press silk). It is perfect for pressing the seam open instead of pressing the seam with a short fingernail.

Yes, there is no avoiding the tediousness. I am well aware of that.

What I am looking for by coming to the forum is interesting results.

On the Jelly Roll idea.......you could do a bargello style quilt. I love Bonnie Hunters Scrappy Trips Around The World.......free on her website and have done two quilts out of that pattern. Very Jelly Roll friendly. It is a bit of sewing and takes awhile but the finished result is ALWAYS beautiful. 

I hope this uploads. This is one Viola sent me to upload for you. Well I have fiddled with that photo and can't figure it out.........one reason I do not attach photos here any more. It has to go from my phone to my e-mail, to my desktop, to the forum. Somewhere the file is not working.

Mishii

Jan-12

I've only made one and used it as a backing.  I hated every minute of it.

Like Jonna said, I should have known better.  I'm easily bored and I can not do "zen sewing".  I don't get zen, I get irritated.  JR quilts are boring.  I don't usually much like the way they look, but since you threw in some spacers, it will jazz it up a bit.

I'm irritated all over again remembering how boring it was to make that quilt. LOL  I wish you all the luck!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-13

Thanks for describing the process and "boring factor" prevention for JRQs!!

latterberry

Jan-13

Pintrest has tons of ideas.  I just posted one on the thread about looking for gray JR quilt ideas.

bornblesse2

Jan-13

Ami, can you email me your picture?  I can try loading it.  I usuall6 have good luck doing that.

Ok I will email you Viola's picture. Thanks!