Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Looking for the lost quilts website   General Discussion

Started Jan-12 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 246 views.

When I tried lostquilt.com, I got a message that it had expired in October 2020.  What?!  

Anyway, I have a quilted wall hanging that I bought at a thrift store in Pigeon Forge, TN in December.  It has a label with a quilter name, quilt name, and a date.  I have started searching, but so far nothing related to this quilt (or even quilting in general) and that person.  So, I thought I would try the missing quilt site, but dead end there.

Any other ideas?  (Photo to come soon.)

CC (ccase5)

Jan-12

facebook has one and aqsblog.com has one also.
and quilterscashe.com has missingquilts also.

Thanks.  I'm going to get some photos up soon.  It's possible that the quilter has passed away and someone in her family donated it.  It's quite a nice little wall hanging and it is evident that it was an experienced piecer and quilter who made it.  If she had a family, I'm sorry that one of her family members did not keep it.  But maybe they already had quilts made by her, or maybe she did not have family members who were interested in quilts.  It could be anything.  If no one identifies it as a lost quilt, I will be glad to keep it, as it does go well with the color of the walls in my house.  

judyinohio

Jan-12

Perhaps that quilt isn't "lost".

Perhaps that quilt was made by some "little old lady" who died and her only surviving relative was a nephew who has no family himself. He's not interested in the quilt and has no one to donate it to so he gives it to the thrift store.  Being a guy he doesn't think to remove the identifying information ...

Just how my imagination runs ....

I bought a couple of quilt tops at an antique shop decades ago and finished them into useable quilts. I made up stories in my head about how these tops wound up in Jeffrey's Antiques in Findlay, Ohio just to amuse myself. Simple things for simple people.  LOL

CC (ccase5)

Jan-12

I actually gave a king size quilt away to charity because i wasn't happy with it and it was so heavy to wash. Slept under it fine but didn't want to go stop my washing machine that often. So someone else can enjoy it and hopefully have a better washer than I do. I give lots away it seems. All for the good though.

I'm debating about giving away my 1st quilt - king size.  My fabrics were very boring and dull and one of them has now faded to a yuk rusty dried blood color instead of black.  Darn thing is even hand quilted.  but I know my kids don't want it, I don't want it.  It's too big to ever get used as just a blanket (king to the floor).  Batting is poofy ply fill.  Would someone love this poor thing?  But it's my 1st quilt finished quilt (took 13 years as I got discouraged and put it away).  Sentimentality is fighting with my need to toss.

CC (ccase5)

Jan-13

OH my, the time will come when you make up your mind. Until then tuck it into the closet somewhere and let it rest a bit. No worries.